• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Two saccharification rests on BeerSmith2

FilmaginatioN

New Forum Member
Reaction score
First, Hello fellow brewsters!

It seems like it's not possible to get BS calculate two separate (alpha/beta-amylase) saccharification rests..?

Heres what happens:

I make two rests:
Rest1 - 62C/143F
Rest2 - 72C/162F

Now, BS only takes into account Rest2, which gives (with my current recipe) Est ABV 5.1%.
But if I raise Rest1 to 63C/145F it changes to notice Rest1 only and gives Est ABV 6.2%.
Then again if I lower Rest2 to 70C/158F it swaps back to Rest2 and gives Estimates ABV 5.2%.
Etc.

So it seems BS only notices step that is closest to The Golden Great 66.7C/152F.

Any ideas? Besides of "Why you even want to do two rests?" ;)

It looks as if you figured it out yourself. BS only uses one mash temperature to estimate the fermentability for the FG calculation. I understand your mash schedule and have done mashes with those rests myself, and ignored the BS FG estimate. Those estimates are only guesses, anyway, so I don't worry a lot about them. I mash in an electric kettle and it takes 10 mins or so to heat from the lower rest to the higher rest, during which time the beta-amylase is still working and alpha is kicking in. In my case I ended up with a highly fermentable wort, so I would guess you will get something closer to the 6.2% than the 5.1% even if you raise the temperature faster.

--GF

I typically use two rests for my lagers, a Beta amylase at 145 and an Alpha amylase at 158 - 160. 

I'm using infusion to hit my temps and BS seems to be quite happy to calculate both steps, complete with volumes and temperatures of each infusion. Maybe Beersmith doesn't like you because you're  using "temperature" or decoction.

Beer Dog

durrettd said:
I typically use two rests for my lagers, a Beta amylase at 145 and an Alpha amylase at 158 - 160. 

I'm using infusion to hit my temps and BS seems to be quite happy to calculate both steps, complete with volumes and temperatures of each infusion. Maybe Beersmith doesn't like you because you're  using "temperature" or decoction.

Beer Dog

Yeah that's a good way of doing it I personally normally do a single mash at 152 for lagers to activate some of both. That's my way of doing it but I find it to be more balanced.

Back