Author Topic: overheated lager during primary - how to mitigate "damage"  (Read 635 times)

Offline rx35285

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
overheated lager during primary - how to mitigate "damage"
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:50 AM »
So my lager was fermenting merrily along at 53* and then my equipment failed overnight.  The temp was 66* when I checked this morning.  I didn't check the gravity, but I will after I get done with my "honey do's".  Fermentation is active so I don't think I'm at the gravity target for lagering yet. 

Assuming it's not ready to lager, should I go back to 53* until it's time for the diacetyl rest according to the gravity reading?

Did I just have an accidental rest? 

My rest target would have been 57-58, so should I drop to that temp for a few hours and leave it until time to lager?  Thanks for the help!

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: overheated lager during primary - how to mitigate "damage"
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »
I would lower the temp back to the target slowly so as not to shock the yeast so much.  Then follow your fermentation profile. 

Offline KipDM

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Brewing: makes friends and settles nerves!
Re: overheated lager during primary - how to mitigate "damage"
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »
As soon as your controller is fixed I would drop 1 degree per hour or two until back at your optimal fermentation range. For my equipment I use a diacetyl rest of 62 degree, but that could also be the yeast I use. But don't worry about the beer.....just go ahead and brew an ale so you'll have it ready just in case the lager isn't salvageable.  ;)
KipDM
On Tap: Autumn Amber, Columbus Warrior DIPA
Primary: none :(
Secondary: Pumpkin Spice Ale