• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation stuck on 1020.

Cobby

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys,here is the question.I brewed an IPA
0.25 kg Dark Munich
0.25 kg Caramel 40 L
0.50 kg Wheat
5.00 kg Pilsner
SG 1.065
Really wanted to try Giga Vermont yeast golden pitch( you can pitch one pack for 5 gallons) it has double sell count., but 72 hours no activity, no foam building, nothing.I didn?t have any yeast around, luckily my friend had some 05 slurry about 150 ml, so I pitched that fermentation started in about 18 hours.I have temperature controlled setup so it?s always steady.It was fermenting for about a week and stuck on 1.020. Question is can I pitch some more Safale 05 to see if it will ferment to desire 1010 or just leave it like it is, keg it and that?s it. I never had before experience to repitch the yeast many times.
Please share your thoats.
Thank you for your time.

A couple of things come to mind:

If you're using a refactometer for your gravity readings you need to use a correction factor during and after fermentation. If not, your readings will be higher than the gravity actually is and you may have reached your expected FG. 

The yeast may be old or may have been mishandled. With Gigs's claim of 200+ billion cells and reasonable aeration you should have had a quick start. Liquid yeast viability degrades quickly under adverse conditions.

As for the US-05, if you rehydrated it before pitching it should have done the job. If you pitched directly the cell count would have been significantly decreased. While it doesn't do much for cell count with dry yeast, at this point, I would make a small starter with an SG of 1.040 or under and pitch at high krausen. Probably your best bet to get the FG down.

Thank you for the quick reply,I used hydrometer, and I pitched 05 slurry,not a new pack. Should I go ahead and pitch one more re-hydrated 05 pack?

If US 05 is all you have, Yes. Keep in mind that even if it doesn't drop the FG you may still have a decent beer. If you're bottling be sure the gravity is stable for 2 or 3 days  first.

Thank you,I have Lallemand Windsor witch is expire one year ago,and 04 witch is fresh if Im pitching for the 3rd time,maybe try to rehydrate Windsor for fun,I hope to not ruin the beer completely.

Back