• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hibiscus in Witbier

iroc4life

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried to use Hibiscus in a Homebrew Wit? I did it recently and it turned out pretty good if you like the Hoegaarden Rose beers. Made this one for the wife as she enjoys the Rose. I used a BeerSmith Belgian Wit Recipe and added .5 oz Hibiscus per gallon of Beer at Kegging. Color was OK, flavor was good but I think I could have used more of the Hibiscus. Will try again on the next brew day.
For adding the Hibiscus I Boiled the dried flowers in .5 Liter of water, strained, and cooled then added to the bottling bucket.

Attachments

• line_1511168343181.jpg
    line_1511168343181.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 497
I did try Hibiscus in a Witbier but I didn't use enough(1 oz in a 5 gal batch) I previously used 2 oz. of a pomigranite tea and found it tasted too much like tea not enough like beer.  I guess tea all has different strengths of flavour.

Back