• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU calculation very low

darryl.nortje

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm trying beersmith for the first time, and one of my first all grain recipes. I downloaded the grainfather app that comes with an IPA recipe. I've put that recipe into beersmith, but the calculated IBUs for each hop addition in the recipe designer shows 0.0% for each hop addition, exept for my very early hope addition. I've tried looking at the ingredients, and looks like all the values are entered for the different hops that i've added to my recipe. I've also read this post (http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=6194.0) that explains it could be something with my equipment setup. All looks fine there too. So, any help would be great.

see recipe file attached

thanks
cheers
Darryl

Attachments

• easy-drop-session-ipa.bsmx
    32.9 KB · Views: 187
here is my equipment file

Attachments

• GrainFatherEquipmentProfile.bsmx
    1.4 KB · Views: 164
Zero minute kettle additions and dry hops aren't counted as adding IBUs. If you allow the zero minute additions to steep/whirlpool before chilling and enter them as such, they will contribute to bittering  and IBUs will be displayed. Be sure to enter the amount of time you steep/whirlpool.

Thanks Bob,

Makes sense. Tell me, How would I add a 20 minute rest after the boil to the recipe? I can't seem to find where to add this in the app...?

Other question: Is dry hopping then just for flavouring?

thanks
cheers
Darryl

Double click on the hop entry and then, in the pane that pops up, you'll see a drop down just below the "amount" entry.  Clicking on that will drop down a list of options. Select "steep/whirlpool" and then enter the amount of time in the box just below that.

To have this come up as standard, go to your equipment profile. Toward the bottom right is a section "whirlpool/steep hop addition".  Change the whirlpool time to 20 mins. Check the box "Estimate boil hop util in whirlpool".

This will not only count the IBU's of the flame out additions, but you will also see the IBU contributions of earlier additions increase (as they are in the hot wort for the longer period of time).

Back