Author Topic: absolutely clean  (Read 936 times)

Offline rocky_creek

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
absolutely clean
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:32:26 AM »
I have a 950 gph pond pump that I have previously used for hydroponics that I want to use in construction of a carboy cleaner.
I can take it apart and physically clean the impeller and other parts. There is a cavity where the little magnetic part spins around that will have little or no access. I believe (without knowing) that it would stand up to bleach. So I'm thinking soak in 10 - 15% bleach then rinse and soak with star san or pbw. Any one think bugs would live through those two or have additional suggestions.

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: absolutely clean
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:37:47 AM »
Bleach, PBW amd Starsan should be ample.  I'd soak in 15% bleach for 20 minutes, rinse with cold water then PBW in 120-130F water (depending on the pump rating) for 20 minutes then starsan for a couple minutes.  I encourage you to use proper dilution for all.   

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »
Bleach, PBW amd Starsan should be ample.  I'd soak in 15% bleach for 20 minutes, rinse with cold water then PBW in 120-130F water (depending on the pump rating) for 20 minutes then starsan for a couple minutes.  I encourage you to use proper dilution for all.

Yep, although pbw does work in cold water. I personally just pbw stuff then star San it. And call it a day

KellerBrauer

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
I have a 950 gph pond pump that I have previously used for hydroponics that I want to use in construction of a carboy cleaner.
I can take it apart and physically clean the impeller and other parts. There is a cavity where the little magnetic part spins around that will have little or no access. I believe (without knowing) that it would stand up to bleach. So I'm thinking soak in 10 - 15% bleach then rinse and soak with star san or pbw. Any one think bugs would live through those two or have additional suggestions.

Greetings rocky - I have to agree with jomebrew. According to the Directions for Use on the PBW label, 5-Star recommends using ?warm to hot water? for cleaning brew kettles, tuns, fermenters, tanks, etc.  Being you?re cleaning a pump that was once used for the purpose of moving pond water, I would recommend following the manufactures printed instructions.

The hot water and 15-20% bleach solution will kill any bacteria that might be lingering, followed by a healthy dose of PBW in hot water to remove any dead bacteria, followed by an application of StarSan and you should be in good shape.  I would also allow these chemicals to circulate for several hours each.

Good luck!

Offline KipDM

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Brewing: makes friends and settles nerves!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
Unless I am forgetting something the PBW will do everything you need, the bleach is an unnecessary step, but I would suggest pumping PBW solution through it for only a few minutes.
Pump PBW solution for 1-5 minutes, let sit 15-20 minutes, pump 1-5, wait 15-20...cycle like this until the PBW solution has been in the pump a minimum of 1 hour [for the first cleaning, for subsequent cleanings 30 minutes should be fine]. Then rinse by pumping some water, then a Star San mix for total contact time of 5 minutes and everything should be golden [as in good, not the color, LOL].
KipDM
On Tap: Autumn Amber, Columbus Warrior DIPA
Primary: none :(
Secondary: Pumpkin Spice Ale