• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Force carbing discrepency

fenomeno

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I am looking at my Brewsheet/Sessions page, the amount of lbs CO2 psi needed for specified volume is quite different than the standalone Carbonation page in Tools.  I'm not sure what temp the Session page uses as I don't see one listed.  I overcarbed using that info (16.6 vs. the 12.2 on Tools page), cross-checked other online calculators, and it looks like the Tools page was within +/-0.2 lbs of the other programs.  I usually trust what BS2 tells me, but this one was way off.   

What calculators have you guys found gives the closest algorithm for the correct volumes?

In the fermentation profile you'll see an "Age For" section that allows you to enter duration and temperature. I'm fairly sure that's the temperature entry for Keg carbonation with CO2.

Thanks for the reply Bob. 
I experimented with changing the temps in the Fermentation profile as you suggested, but the suggested PSI does not change.  (16.06 lbs. for 2.6 vol @ 40* seems really high ???)  Hmmm--for now I will use the tools page.

I keep my kegerator set at 38 degrees F and enter that as the Age For temp.  For 2.3 volumes the session tab shows 9.15 PSI. The carbonation tool shows the same if I enter 38F, but the psi in the session tab doesn;t change when I change the temp. I just assumed that since the numbers matched that was what BS used . Now we're both stumped :-X

Back