• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't Launch in Ubuntu (Linux) 17.04/17.10

stolpe

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I needed to upgrade to Ubuntu 17.04/17.10 and now I can't launch the app even after removing/reinstalling. I now have no way to access my recipes. HELP!

Jared

I'm running Debian, the SID branch, and also can't launch any longer.  It has been months .  I corresponded with Brad by email, and he pointed me at another build, but the issues persists.

Some of the users are reporting that libpng12 is missing (replaced) on the latest Ubuntu distributions.  That's not my issue.  I think it's the latest C library update, and something not being backwards compatible.  That would mean pretty much any newer distributions are going to fail to load BS.  Something isn't packaged right and it allows dependencies to be updated without creating any notifications.  Hard to troubleshoot.  I think it just needs to be rebuilt in the newer releases, but that's a time consuming process for someone who doesn't do so regularly.

I am having a similar issue since upgrading to 18.04, nothing helpful when launching from a terminal in terms of error messages. I have managed to get it to launch once or twice, usually when the crash reporter notes it has failed and then offers to re-launch. I do see the splash screen briefly when it fails, that is about it.

Some added info.

In dmesg, I see this after the crash:
Code:
[ 7808.010812] traps: beersmith2[65262] general protection ip:563aa1266157 sp:7ffff6873100 error:0 in beersmith2[563aa0fd6000+934000]

Still not super helpful.

BeerSmith worked great on 16.04, but crashes on program launch on 18.04. Segmentation fault. Developers, please post an updated version that works with 18.04!

I know this doesnt help much, but im running kubuntu 18.04 without issues. I was running 17.10 prior without issues. And many versions before. The only issue ive had in the past was the libpng12 thing, which i posted a fix for. Maybe some more details and i can help...

Back