• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My new system Equipment profile etc

dioggio

Apprentice
Reaction score
I posted this question in The BeerSmith2 'Equipment Profile' set-up for new all-grainers sticky but not sure if that was the right place.

I have nearly finished building a system with a 20G kettle with 5500w Element and a SS colander (from a Brewha home brewery BIAC) its a heavy solid kettle with a lot of holes in the bottom that will hold the grain rather than a bag. I have a chugger pump so will be recirculating during mash and then will then lift the colander above the kettle and sparge. I will then boil in the same kettle and transfer via a plate chiller to my fermenter.

Is this basically a BIAB equipment profile? What should I use as a typical starting effieciency? Anything else in particular that I would need to treat different than a standard BIAB set up?

I will be doing mostly 10G batches but I made my HLT (for sparge water) out of a converted corny keg so it is 5G max. Is it possible to just adjust the strike volume up so the maximum sparge needed is 5G? Can I do this in BS or is that something I would have to do manually?

Is there a benefit in doing some sparge (albeit maybe not the correct amount) rather than no sparge at all?

If you are using the total volume of water in the mash with no sparge step, then it is exactly like BIAB.  If you do a sparge, then you probably want to use a standard infusion profile.  Both of these refer to the mash profile.  It will be even more important to craft the proper equipment profile for your system.  Short Circuit Brewing has a video on how to measure your equipment properly for a BeerSmith profile.  The direct link is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwEbjOt8OR8

I have a basically similar system and I find the efficiency varies depending on the amount of malt that I pack into it. The efficiency starts to drop above a certain amount as the circulation from the pump becomes more restricted. Below that amount I get little or no benefit from sparging. Once I get above that amount I start sparging. Using wheat or rye malt can also drop the efficiency as they have no husk and therefore restrict the flow sooner. My efficiency can vary by  as much as 10%. Stiring the malt a couple of times during the mash normally helps. You can also increase the mash time. I would start by setting your efficiency at about 65% and go from there. You can then adjust it up or down with experience.

@Oginme Thanks for the feedback. Lots of interesting videos on that you tube channel.
@Roadrocket How fine do you grind your grain? Are these types of setup more susceptible to a stuck sparge? Also interested in how you sparge. I have been considering making either a rotating arm or perhaps just a perforated copper coil.
I started with a Grainfather, which is similar but that was before I started using BS and converting recipes and I never calculated anything. With that I just poured jugfuls of sparge water over the grain.

@Oginme I also found a post of yours on another forum pointing out there were add-ons available for BS for the BREWHA equip and mash. Obviously a good place for me to start.

Back