• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hi from NJ

willster89

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Will and I'm a total newb in home brewing. I just love cider and thought it would be fun to try my hand at making some my very own. Any advice for a beginner will be super helpful and appreciated. I will search the forum hard too :D Thanks for having me!

Welcome Will.

A few months back I started making hard cider in addition to brewing beer . My first batch used Walmart's house brand 100% apple juice with Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). If you use juice, make sure it doesn't have any other additives. The batch turned out so good that I have been using bottled apple juice ever since. I have added fruit flavoring purchased at my LHBS a couple of times with good results as well. I add the flavoring to taste after kegging. If you will be bottling it would be added to the cider after fermentation.

I use the juice straight out of the bottles and add 1/2 tsp Diammonium Phosphate and 1/2 tsp Fermaid K after pitching yeast. So far I have been using dry white wine or champagne yeasts . They produce a very dry cider which my wife and I prefer. If you like sweeter cider you can use an ale yeast instead. Many recommend Fermentis S-04.

I keg everything, so can't really give you much advice on priming and bottling. A Google search for cider making will yield a bunch of results.

Happy brewing,

Any time Will, and I forgot to mention in the last reply that the nutrient amounts are for 5 gallons.

Greetings - don?t quote me here, but I believe Brad is adding the necessary components to next upgrade of BS2 to make cider and mead.  I?m looking forward to trying my hand at both!  I?m excited to see what?s in store!

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=16032.0#msg61271

Back