• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone else having poor OG with Briess 2 row??

aaronhyde said:
Hi all-

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having.  I'm the Director of Homebrew at Briess- I typically receive these calls and emails, but don't remember being in touch about this issue.

Briess doesn't release malt out of specification, we have no reason to.  Unlike other malting companies, even some mentioned here, we have much tighter specifications than many maltsters.  We're a smaller (fun fact: 26th in the world), family owned malt company, but we also sell in to food malt and feed barley industries.  Unlike other maltsters who may just choose to release whatever is produced, we have other sales avenues for out of spec malt.

We contract our own barley in Wyoming and Montana with multi-generation barley farmers, we're not looking for the cheapest stuff on the market like other folks may.

I don't think the issues you're having are malt related- if you do have a lot number I can send you all of the specs for that particular lot.  I can also see if craft breweries who received the same lot had any issues (though I don't see anything for Brewers malt dating back a while.)  Homebrewers use the same batches of malt Bell's, Allagash, Founders, Ballast Point, etc... use in their beers without issue.

Feel free to drop an email any time, I love talking malting and brewing- aaron.hyde@briess.com.

Cheers,

Aaron

PS- hope to see some SE CA folks at the BYO Boot Camp! https://byo.com/byo-boot-camps/2018-san-diego-byo-boot-camp-overview/

I would have to go look who I emailed back and forth with because I can't remember was quite some time ago, and I am happy to report I got some other Briess grains from another store and had 0 issues so I don't know if possibly they sat a long time before being sent to the store or something.  But that batch was messed up somehow. I like your grains and your unhopped extracts and have used both for quite some time.

Back