• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New Brewer from Edmonton, Alberta

jcote000

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there, new to brewing in Edmonton. Made my equipment myself so it is pretty ghetto but seems to do the trick for now.

First batch was American Amarillo Pale Ale. Brewed it last weekend and bought enough to brew another batch this weekend to see the difference as there are quite a few things I am going to change.

jcote000 said:
Hi there, new to brewing in Edmonton. Made my equipment myself so it is pretty ghetto but seems to do the trick for now.

First batch was American Amarillo Pale Ale. Brewed it last weekend and bought enough to brew another batch this weekend to see the difference as there are quite a few things I am going to change.

Welcome, you picked a easy style of beer to start with, if you are using dry yeast use US-05 if you are using liquid then go for Wyeast 1056.

American Pale ales are usually just American 2 row a bit of caramel or crystal 10L or 20L and occasionally a bit of Cara-Pils.

For hops you want to stick with traditional american hops, Amarillo is s decent choice :) the beer that really started American Pale ales popularity was brewed  with Cascade.

Back