• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Howdy from Bellville, Texas!

DoubleLuck

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am a new member of this forum, but not a new brewer.  I have been brewing beer since before it was technically legal!  Thank you, Jimmy Carter!

About 98% of my brews are all grain recipes, most of which I have formulated myself.  I use a RIMS and a conical fermenter to make 10 gallon batches, which I put into 2 soda kegs, placing these inside a True beer cooler for conditioning and serving.

For years, I made nothing but ales, but recently have ventured into the world of lagers.  I use a Brew Jacket solid state temperature control system that handles 5 gallon batches.  My first lager recipes have been extract based, but that will soon be changing.

Ive been curious about kegging. Do  need to leave it as long as bottling to condition ( 30days) or is that cut down due to force carbonation with C02. I am a new to all grain brewer who used to use kits but just started using all grain recipes here on beersmith. Where do you find your info that you use to make your recipees. WOuld like to start that after I have done 10 or so all grain beers successfully.

jcote000 said:
Ive been curious about kegging. Do  need to leave it as long as bottling to condition ( 30days) or is that cut down due to force carbonation with C02. I am a new to all grain brewer who used to use kits but just started using all grain recipes here on beersmith. Where do you find your info that you use to make your recipees. WOuld like to start that after I have done 10 or so all grain beers successfully.

Bottle carbonation only takes 12-14 days really it's done in 3 the rest of the days are strictly for aging the beer. As to kegging no it doesn't take as long but you should still age the beer for a few days. To clean up off flavors and because most beer gets better with a bit of age.

I agree.  Forced carbonation is a little quicker; I find it is usually "ready" within 5 days.  You can also do what I've known as a "shake and Bake", where the beer is as cold as you can get it, and you simply attach the gas input (perhaps at a higher pressure than you will serve at) and literally shake the keg.  You can get a decent amount of carbonation in just a few minutes.  I do not recommend this, mainly because the beer greatly benefits from additional aging.

DoubleLuck said:
I am a new member of this forum, but not a new brewer.  I have been brewing beer since before it was technically legal!  Thank you, Jimmy Carter!

Ok, I'll get off your lawn!

For years, I made nothing but ales, but recently have ventured into the world of lagers.  I use a Brew Jacket solid state temperature control system that handles 5 gallon batches.  My first lager recipes have been extract based, but that will soon be changing.

The thing about lagers is they tend to be more trouble than they're worth, especially if you're not kegging them. I made a couple and they were crystal clear after cold crashing, but then bottle fermentation made them cloudy again. They were good, but it wasn't worth the trouble of fermenting in a separate fridge with a temperature controller and waiting so long. And I only "lagered" for about 3 weeks. I'll try making another and kegging it. I'm sure lagers are much better from the keg.

Not sure why you would make extract beer if you have a fancy RIMS setup.

I resisted brewing lagers for several years before trying my first few.  I find them pretty easy to do and, yes, I bottle them all.  I've expanded the lagers I've done and now they are now almost 40% of what I brew.  I do live in New England section of the US, so I have the nice cold winters to cold crash and lager them.  I do the lagering in the bottle and end up with nice clear, crisp beer pouring from the bottle.

Lately. I've only kegged hoppy beers, since the hops seem to last longer in the keg than in the bottle.

Back