• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting Recipe

Ian

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a Mash and boil with a maximum grain bill of 16 lbs.  I have a recipe with a grain bill of 19 lbs. (5 gallon yield). Is there a way to adjust the recipe to still yield 5 gallon but lower the grain bill. Or will I have to settle for less beer?

There are several ways of tackling this issue. 

The first is to scale the recipe back in volume.  To do this you will need to use the 'scale recipe' function and reduce your ending volume until it fits within your equipment constraints

The second thing you can do is to reduce the gravity of the wort, thus requiring less grain.  The easiest way to do this is to click on the OG slider below the ingredients window on the design page.  You can decrease the OG value in the box until the recipe will fit your equipment.

The best way (always saved for last), would be to add DME or LME into the recipe to be added during the boil and back off on the base grain accordingly.  Here you can reduce the base grain until you have reached your 16 lb maximum then add the appropriate extract into the recipe and increase it until you get back to your original target OG.

Ian said:
I have a Mash and boil with a maximum grain bill of 16 lbs.  I have a recipe with a grain bill of 19 lbs. (5 gallon yield). Is there a way to adjust the recipe to still yield 5 gallon but lower the grain bill. Or will I have to settle for less beer?

I agree with Oginme suggesting the use of DME max out your grain limit then use DME to get to your target OG.

I also though mash and boil held as much as the robobrew. But guess it doesn't the robobrew maxes out at 19 pounds.

Back