Author Topic: Beersmith 3  (Read 374 times)

Offline terragady

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Beersmith 3
« on: November 24, 2017, 03:16:48 AM »
Hi are there any plans for bs3? Or you will just upgrade version 2 for now? Will we require new license for new version?

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Re: Beersmith 3
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
Hi are there any plans for bs3? Or you will just upgrade version 2 for now? Will we require new license for new version?

Probably not

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 11:21:51 AM »
Generally, Brad has expressed the policy that program fixes, minor changes and additions would be an extension of the 2.x family and upgrades would be available for free.  Large additions, rewrites and major GUI improvements would be the start of a 3.x version and would require the repurchasing of the software license.

Brad has made some comments about a rewrite, but I don't know the time schedule yet.  I would guess that it would be a while if there are major changes which would require significant beta testing before it was released.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
Generally, Brad has expressed the policy that program fixes, minor changes and additions would be an extension of the 2.x family and upgrades would be available for free.  Large additions, rewrites and major GUI improvements would be the start of a 3.x version and would require the repurchasing of the software license.

Brad has made some comments about a rewrite, but I don't know the time schedule yet.  I would guess that it would be a while if there are major changes which would require significant beta testing before it was released.

I never support companies that don't give me free access to a major release if I pay say for example $ 200 for the prior version it's a joke.

Offline brewfun

• STAND BACK! I'm going to try Science!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:11:57 AM »

I never support companies that don't give me free access to a major release if I pay say for example $ 200 for the prior version it's a joke.

To my knowledge, there isn't a 3.0 in the works. Updates to 2.x.x are free, when they come out.

Between the announcement of V2.0 and it's release, Brad had a window of time where a purchase of 1.x.x was upgradable to 2.0. I have no reason to think he wouldn't do the same.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Bottoms Up!!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 02:38:50 PM »
I recall an email correspondence I had with Brad a couple years ago and if I understood what he was saying, it sounded like he was leaning toward the possibility of a web based application.  Personally, I would prefer a personal machine based system.  But if that?s the direction this software goes, so be it. 

This software has come a long way just in the couple years I?ve been using it.  I can?t imagine how some of the long-time users must feel.
All good things come to those who exercise patience and perseverance.  ;-)

Offline Baron Von MunchKrausen

• Fermentation - a greater discovery than fire
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
This software has come a long way just in the couple years I?ve been using it.  I can?t imagine how some of the long-time users must feel.

Back in the day I casually tinkered with some other brewing software that didn't come close to Beersmith.
I confess I don't even use many of the features of BS, but once you get your profiles and BH efficiency dialed in, there's no comparison. I can't imagine using anything else.
In my perfect world, it would be nice to have BS integrated with Bru'n water but I don't see that as a practical or viable option. I guess I can live with a separate spreadsheet of water management.
Outrageously Farfetched Brewery

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:54:28 PM »
Baron,

I agree.  It's almost a ho-hum brewing day around here.  I almost wish sometimes for missing a volume or gravity readings to bring some excitement back in at times.

Seriously though, it is the best $21 spent on brewing.  If Brad announces a V3.x coming out tomorrow, I'd line up for it. 
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!