Author Topic: General vent thread!  (Read 497 times)

Offline chalmers81

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
General vent thread!
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
A place to vent those daily issues, be it brew related or not! Come on folks, dont hold back!

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Re: General vent thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
A place to vent those daily issues, be it brew related or not! Come on folks, dont hold back!

I have to say I hate how expensive yeast is it's insane to have to pay $9.00 for a tube of White Labs and that's with the home brew shop making 0 profit.they are only breaking even.

Yeast costs add up fast. And no I can't reuse Belgian yeast from a 1.085 or so OG beer.

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:38:16 AM »

I have to say I hate how expensive yeast is it's insane to have to pay $9.00 for a tube of White Labs and that's with the home brew shop making 0 profit.they are only breaking even.

Yeast costs add up fast. And no I can't reuse Belgian yeast from a 1.085 or so OG beer.

You  don;t need to reuse yeast to save money. Overbuild your starter by about 100 billion cells and save the overbuild in a vial for the next batch. Do the same with that starter. Sometimes I' ll just build a vial to 300 billion cells right from the start and package 3 vials with it.

Either way you get 3 vials for the price of one plus a couple of bucks for DME and a new vial if you haven't saved any from White Labs.
DME is pretty cheap compared to the cost of liquid yeast and you can buy 30 50ml vials for about $11.00. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vials.

You can carry this out for several generations and really save money.
Bob

Offline KellerBrauer

• Bottoms Up!!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »
+1 Bob!
All good things come to those who exercise patience and perseverance.  ;-)

Offline GigaFemto

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »
How do you know how many yeast cells you have in the saved part? After several generations I imagine the uncertainties could grow. Is it possible to grow a starter to "saturation" for the volume each time and then use the percentage of saved slurry to estimate the cell count?

--GF

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
I generally estimate a little on the low side of 1 billion cells per ml of slurry and then apply modifiers for the thickness of the slurry and the amount of visible trub.  I did do some cell counting in the past, but have stepped up my game in that area this year and, judging from the cell counts I am doing now, I was probably underestimating the number of viable yeast cells by about 20%. 
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
How do you know how many yeast cells you have in the saved part? After several generations I imagine the uncertainties could grow. Is it possible to grow a starter to "saturation" for the volume each time and then use the percentage of saved slurry to estimate the cell count?

--GF

I'm not saving any of my yeast I'm saying what I pitched which after multiplying is  probably around 800 billion to 1 trillion cells.

Also I've been getting a lot of negative karma from Russian spammers who seem to hate me for getting them banned. So they make another account and down vote everything can you guys please not add to it. Had to get that out as it is ranting.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:25:10 AM by Ck27 »

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
"And no I can't reuse Belgian yeast from a 1.085 or so OG beer."

That is the statement I was responding to Ck27.
Bob

modification