• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

General vent thread!

chalmers81

Apprentice
Reaction score
A place to vent those daily issues, be it brew related or not! Come on folks, dont hold back!

chalmers81 said:
A place to vent those daily issues, be it brew related or not! Come on folks, dont hold back!

I have to say I hate how expensive yeast is it's insane to have to pay $9.00 for a tube of White Labs and that's with the home brew shop making 0 profit.they are only breaking even.

Yeast costs add up fast. And no I can't reuse Belgian yeast from a 1.085 or so OG beer.

Ck27 said:
chalmers81 said:

I have to say I hate how expensive yeast is it's insane to have to pay $9.00 for a tube of White Labs and that's with the home brew shop making 0 profit.they are only breaking even.

Yeast costs add up fast. And no I can't reuse Belgian yeast from a 1.085 or so OG beer.

You  don;t need to reuse yeast to save money. Overbuild your starter by about 100 billion cells and save the overbuild in a vial for the next batch. Do the same with that starter. Sometimes I' ll just build a vial to 300 billion cells right from the start and package 3 vials with it.

Either way you get 3 vials for the price of one plus a couple of bucks for DME and a new vial if you haven't saved any from White Labs.
DME is pretty cheap compared to the cost of liquid yeast and you can buy 30 50ml vials for about $11.00. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vials.

You can carry this out for several generations and really save money.

How do you know how many yeast cells you have in the saved part? After several generations I imagine the uncertainties could grow. Is it possible to grow a starter to "saturation" for the volume each time and then use the percentage of saved slurry to estimate the cell count?

--GF

I generally estimate a little on the low side of 1 billion cells per ml of slurry and then apply modifiers for the thickness of the slurry and the amount of visible trub.  I did do some cell counting in the past, but have stepped up my game in that area this year and, judging from the cell counts I am doing now, I was probably underestimating the number of viable yeast cells by about 20%. 

GigaFemto said:
How do you know how many yeast cells you have in the saved part? After several generations I imagine the uncertainties could grow. Is it possible to grow a starter to "saturation" for the volume each time and then use the percentage of saved slurry to estimate the cell count?

--GF

I'm not saving any of my yeast I'm saying what I pitched which after multiplying is  probably around 800 billion to 1 trillion cells.

Also I've been getting a lot of negative karma from Russian spammers who seem to hate me for getting them banned. So they make another account and down vote everything can you guys please not add to it. Had to get that out as it is ranting.

"And no I can't reuse Belgian yeast from a 1.085 or so OG beer."

That is the statement I was responding to Ck27.

I am always getting very bad hangovers whenever i take kind of alcoholic drink.. be it, beer, whiskey, rum, brandy..
the list goes on and on..
I have very high nights.. Lots of fun but when the next day dawns.. regrets come flooding.. can not report to work
can hardly stomach anything.. is it that my body and alcohol can not live together happily ever after or what?
I do not wanna give up on drinking but seems i have no options left.

sandertristan said:
I am always getting very bad hangovers whenever i take kind of alcoholic drink..

regrets come flooding.. can not report to work  can hardly stomach anything.. is it that my body and alcohol can not live together happily ever after or what?

I do not wanna give up on drinking but seems i have no options left.

This seems like a troll, but I'll answer earnestly. Don't do anything that leaves you incapacitated and unable to work. How alcohol effects someone isn't universal but chronic overuse (which is what your post sounds like) is damaging to everyone. 

Alcoholism is a serious and life threatening disease. Before you lose your life, you could lose your friends, family, job, home and more. Finding out you did terrible and regretful things the night before are signs that you have a problem. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, you've heard all this before, I'm sure.

On this forum, we talk about the technical and artistic challenges of making beer. We look to the skills as achievements and ongoing goals. We validate our skills by sharing beer, usually in modest quantities because we want to share as widely as possible. For a serious beer lover, it's not about drinking to black out, it's about the social connections that can be forged.

In my case, and many others, making beer has lead to decreased personal drinking because we appreciate the skill and effort it takes. If you get to a point that you can't taste it, why bother?

If you have to give up drinking, you'll find a lot of support. You'll find life is just as fun and even more rewarding when alcohol isn't holding you down. Don't hold onto anything that isn't making your life better. This includes anger, resentment, and toxic people.

Back