• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

opinions on this recipe

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Please take a look at the attached JPEG which shows my recipe ingredienst.

Im trying to achoeve a hoppy flavour and aroma to my pale ale, hence the late cascade hops.

can you give me any advice on the recipe, is there enough hops to provide a good aroma and flavour?

opinions welcome

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 379
Greetings MRMARTINSALES - your recipe looks good for flavor and some aroma.  I would recommend a 5-7 day dry hop using .057 kg (2oz.) [+/-] of your aroma hops.  That will give your beer a very nice aroma.

Good luck!

A great way to get hop flavor and aroma is to do a hop stand after the boil. After flame out, cool the wort down to about 170? and add hops. Let that stand for 15 minutes or so (some recommend whirl pooling) then continue cooling as usual.

Hi,

My wort goes into a chiller he. Straight into a FV so.l can?t chill it down partially. Could I just throw my hops in at flameout and wait 20 mins or so? Obviously I would have to account for the extra bitterness.

Thanks

Can't you monitor the temperature as it is chilling and stop at 170?? I have an inline thermometer called a "Thrumometer". When it reaches my hop stand temperature I turn off the pump, add my hops, whirlpool and let it stand for about 15 minutes before I resume chilling.

You can toss in your hops shortly after flame out and then chill.  You will lose some of the more volatile oils, but you still will retain a good amount of the oils to give you a decent aroma.  My experience is that I get a good sustainable aroma from whirlpool hop additions tossing them in at just under 200?F and steeping for a good 20 to 30 minutes.  For a stronger aroma, dry hopping just after active fermentation is the way to go.

Back