• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Amount of hops in ale / ipa

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I?m doing an IPA which I?m using fuggles and EKG and cascade late on to provide a hoppy aroma. I was wondering if anybody can give me any advice as to the amount of hops should typically be used for a 5 gallon batch. I currently have a total of 200 grams of hops for this recipe but not sure if that?s about right or not?

Tha ks

Hello MRMARTINSALES

1.Can you give a breakout of 200 gms hops
2.How much IBU's are you expecting in the final beer.

Hi Ankurnapa,

I have 0.3gm of fuggles @ 30 minuets and 2 minutes,

0.6gm fuggles at 10 minutes.

0.5 Gm cascade at 15 minutes and 2 minutes.

I  will achieve about 33 ibu here but it?s more about he flavour and aroma I?m after.

Thanks

Martin,

Just trying to follow.  I see 2.2 grams total of hops you are adding.  33 IBU is waaay short of an IPA style bitterness, which usually end up at 50+ IBU.

Regardless, if you are looking for increased hop flavor and aromas, I would concentrate your hop additions for later boil and whirlpool additions.  I try to get approximately 1/3 of my IBU from early hop additions (60 minutes to 30 minutes of boil time), 1/3 from late hop additions (less than 10 minutes of boil) and 1/3 from whirlpool additions.  This makes for a very high hop additions for low %AA hops, but it gives an emphasis on the hop flavors from the whirlpool and late hop additions.  Some sustainable aromas are obtained from the whirlpool addition.

For stronger more substantial aromas, give a good dose of dry hopping.  I usually mirror the whirlpool hops with dry hopping in terms of amounts.  With more subtle hops, I will split to two dry hop additions, usually for 6 and 3 days of contact.  I've never done less than 3 days of dry hop contact, but don't go over 7 to 8 days.  Longer times give too much grassy flavors, shorter times more of the more volatile hop oil aromas.  Each variety of hop is somewhat unique in the combination of hop oils so there is some trial and error involved in getting the most from each of the hops you employ.

Oginme said:
Martin,

Just trying to follow.  I see 2.2 grams total of hops you are adding.  33 IBU is waaay short of an IPA style bitterness, which usually end up at 50+ IBU.

Regardless, if you are looking for increased hop flavor and aromas, I would concentrate your hop additions for later boil and whirlpool additions.  I try to get approximately 1/3 of my IBU from early hop additions (60 minutes to 30 minutes of boil time), 1/3 from late hop additions (less than 10 minutes of boil) and 1/3 from whirlpool additions.  This makes for a very high hop additions for low %AA hops, but it gives an emphasis on the hop flavors from the whirlpool and late hop additions.  Some sustainable aromas are obtained from the whirlpool addition.

For stronger more substantial aromas, give a good dose of dry hopping.  I usually mirror the whirlpool hops with dry hopping in terms of amounts.  With more subtle hops, I will split to two dry hop additions, usually for 6 and 3 days of contact.  I've never done less than 3 days of dry hop contact, but don't go over 7 to 8 days.  Longer times give too much grassy flavors, shorter times more of the more volatile hop oil aromas.  Each variety of hop is somewhat unique in the combination of hop oils so there is some trial and error involved in getting the most from each of the hops you employ.

Agrees although I always do less than 4 days with dry hopping because I use a lot more hops than average and I'd you leave them in too long your beer will become grassy. And you will lose the aroma.

But for the most part it depends on style of IPA regarding bitterness old English ipas were 100+. Modern versions usually cap out at 40-60. And American ipas well they can go from 40-200 or even higher we have a lot of insanely hopped beers coming out of the us right now.

But generally I shoot for around 60-65 IBU. That's my personal preference though

What I would do is add a bit of Fuggles at 5 mins before the end of the boil or as oginme said at flameout. Will give you a decent aroma.

Back