• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB Kettle Volume

Cabin

Brewer
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Sorry for being a new user of BS2

I'm wanting to setup BS for a 15gal MegaPot and I'm not sure it's totally setup correct.
Is there a way to know how much volume is being used in the kettle with the grains and using a 5 gal batch of water added?
Should I see this in Brew Steps?

When I pick Northern Brewer Nut Brown Ale AGK the Type selection does not show BIAB just All Grain, Partial Mash and Extract.  I want to brew using the BIAB technique.

TIA
Cabin

No reason to be sorry. We were all new at some point.

For the first question, the Vols tab has an entry called Mash Volume Needed which tells you how much space in the Mash Tun (or kettle for BIAB) is being used by the water and grains. Next to this is Mash Tun Volume, and you want to be sure that the volume needed is less than you mash tun (or kettle) holds.

BIAB is indeed a technique and not a recipe type. It is a technique used for All Grain recipes and Partial Mash recipes. You will need to set up your Equipment Profile to properly describe your volumes, boiloff, etc. Then choose a BIAB profile for your mash profile, or make your own mash profile and check the box labeled BIAB Mash with Full Boil. Then BeerSmith should be able to estimate your water and temperature needs.

--GF

Ok
It's starting to sink in

When I look at the brew steps it calls for Saccharification to Add 30.45 qt of water but the Final Bottling Vol is 4.55 gal.  Shouldn't that be 5.00 gal?

I'm a bit confused

Cabin

In your Equipment Profile you enter a Batch Volume, which is a fixed reference point for your profiles. This is the volume that goes into your fermenter. You also enter Fermenter Loss, which is the volume of yeast sediment and other solids left at the bottom of the fermenter when finished. From those BeerSmith calculates the bottling volume. BeerSmith also takes the Batch Volume and works backwards to find the other volumes: first adding "Loss to Trub and Chiller", then undoing the Cooling Shrinkage to find the desired Post Boil Volume, then adding in the boiloff volume to find how much pre-boil water you need. Using that, the mash profile can add the grain absorption to tell you how much water you need to add at the beginning (which is adjusted for the temperature in the mash profile).

If your profiles are set up for a batch of 5 gallons and you enter a new recipe and specify a Batch Volume of 10 gallons, BeerSmith will take the volumes from your profiles and scale them to the new batch size.

Note that 48 bottles at 12 oz each is 4.5 gallons, and that is what most people bottle, so a "5 gallon" batch really only produces 4.5 gallons in bottles, with perhaps a bit left over for tasting after all the bottles are filled.

--GF

GF--
Thank you so much!

It's all starting to make sense now

Cabin

it is very important to set up your equipment profile and mash profiles accurately if you want to get the most from Beersmith.

This guy has some pretty easy to follow video tutorials on both including BIAB equipment setup.

https://youtu.be/QmW7pwQP5mQ

Back