• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Post Boil Instructions?

gboysko

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am making some beer that calls for steeping some ingredients in a nylon bag after the boil (for 10 minutes). I've expressed that in BeerSmith by selecting the category of "Boil" and making the time duration negative. Is that the best way to capture this? Or would it be better to have a "Post Boil" category?

That's will work just fine. A great idea too. If there are any fermentables in those ingredients they just won't be calculated.

gboysko said:
I am making some beer that calls for steeping some ingredients in a nylon bag after the boil (for 10 minutes). I've expressed that in BeerSmith by selecting the category of "Boil" and making the time duration negative. Is that the best way to capture this? Or would it be better to have a "Post Boil" category?

I believe you can also check ?Add After Boil? from within the ingredient tab.

If the ingredients you are adding at the end of the boil are hops, you can select Steep/Whirpool instead of boil or dry hop. It will enter them at the end of the boil and they will appear in a section called Steeped Hops after the Boil Ingredients on your brewsheet.

--GF

Back