Author Topic: Mash-in step temperature is too high  (Read 511 times)

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: Mash-in step temperature is too high
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »
Thanks Oginme for your response.
Indeed, I need to calibrate my thermometers.
I guess I'll have to do a trial and error on the specific heat of the mash tun.  I currently have it set to 0.3 which is for a plastic cooler.  The note says that a higher number will result in higher infusion temps.
So, maybe I need to drop that number down a point or two.  In fact, I will drop it to 0.25 from 0.3 for the next batch and see how that works.

About the "adjust temp for equipment" ...
I DO NOT have it set.  The mash tun is at room temp prior to starting the brew.  I do set the grain temp in the mash profile based on the basement temp, as that is where the grain is stored prior to the brew.
I don't know, is it recommended that you check that box and have BS adjust for equipment?  Not sure how that works.   If it is checked, how does BS know what the temp of the mash tun is?  Is that where the specific heat of the mash tun comes into play?  I will need to read up on BS Help to see how that works.
The only temp for the brew environment that I set, is the temp of the grain (I think).  I don't believe I set the room temp anywhere in the profiles.  So, does BS use the grain temp to base everything off of?
For the time being, I will leave it unchecked.

You guys have been a great help.  I still have a ways to go to figure this out, but that is part of the process. 
Meanwhile, my beer is pretty tasty, so I feel that I really don't need to change a lot.

Thanks again
Bob
 8)

Bob,

You can set the actual temperature of your equipment and grains on the mash tab.  I also store my grains in my basement (actually my sauna) where the temperatures are cool and it is dry.  When I grind the grains and bring them up, there can be more than a few degrees difference between the temperature the basement and grains are at versus the temperature I have in my equipment profile. While the equipment profile reflects you average or preset temperatures, the inputs on the mash tab allow you to update these values for your current conditions without having to edit the equipment profile each and every time.

If you do not have the 'adjust temp for equipment' checked then the temperature calculated for strike water will only take into account the thermal mass of the grains from your set temperature to the mash temperature.  If your mash tun is at ambient temperatures, you will always undershoot the mash temperature, because the thermal energy needed to bring the mash tun from ambient temperatures up to the mash temperature will NOT be included in the strike temperature calculation.

Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
I've had the same problem mostly because of my process and also because equipment profiles are complicated and to be accurate takes a lot of work on my specific gear.  So, knowing the grain temp is all I really need to use to adjust the strike temp for a desired mash temp.   I've basically zeroed out things that alters my strike temp in the equipment profile.

My process is to manually move water via a measuring cup to my mashtun though sometimes I pump it but that goes through a plate chiller and loses a lot of heat.  Manually, I lose around 15F.  Neither of these methods are always off by the same temp so instead I get my strike water in my mashtun, adjust the temp there if needed then add my grain.  If the mash temp is off then my grain temp was not what I punched into Beersmith.

I do have several thermometers and usually have several different readings.  Depending on where in my mashtun I measure, I have different readings.    So, I picked up an inexpensive instal digital and go with that.  It seems to be fine.

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Free from the Style Police!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 10:47:31 AM »
You will want to create custom mash profiles in Beersmith. The profiles that come with the profile are at best examples. Your mash tun will, without a doubt, behave differently than the default profiles. It is also necessary to take the temperature of your grain before mashing.

Personally, I have created six different mash profiles designed for the different temperatures I choose to mash with and name them thus:
01 Light Body (148*)
02 Light/Medium Body (150*)
03 Medium Body (152*)
04 Medium/Full Body (154*)
05 Full Body (156*)
06 Very Full Body (158*)

Those are for my batch sparge process... I have six more set up for my BIAB process.

Here is one of the tutorials I used to set those up along with my equipment profiles...
https://youtu.be/CZ0TFtMnzxs
There is a difference between beer and ale. Mild is not low ABV and dark in color. More porter than IPA was shipped to British troops in India. The BJCP is a lie.