• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need Some Help With Coming Up With A Recipe

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So im brewing a beer with a friend of mine and he wants a dark beer, he told me that he isnt a big fan of extremely hoppy beers or extremely bitter beers so im having a bit of a hard time coming up with something as I dont usually brew a lot of darker beers my thing is more IPA and Amber Ales. Ive only brewed a porter which had quite a bit of bitterness from the hops.

If anyone has a style recommendation let me know im open to trying anything really, but I need to know by tomorrow morning, sorry for the pressure, I just couldn't come up with something.
Thanks
CK

You might look into a Northern English Brown Ale. Here's a link to a description and recipe:

http://www.brew365.com/style_northern_english_brown_ale.php

BOB357 said:
You might look into a Northern English Brown Ale. Here's a link to a description and recipe:

http://www.brew365.com/style_northern_english_brown_ale.php

Thanks for the suggestion ,ill look into it, was also looking into a few of the German styles, I dont have a fridge to lager, but was thinking of trying a darker lager but sticking the bucket in cold water and ice and just maintaining that for a couple weeks.

I know it will be a pain in the ass, but he would probably like that idea a bit more. As lager are clean crisp and dont have a lot of hop bitterness or flavor Usually.

What about a scotch ale or cream ale? Don't need to lager those.  They would be much easier to keep at temp if you don't have a lagering fridge.

Matteo57 said:
What about a scotch ale or cream ale? Don't need to lager those.  They would be much easier to keep at temp if you don't have a lagering fridge.

I have been considering a cream ale for a while but I just did a biggggggggggggg Belgian about 14% abv.

Ck27 said:
Thanks for the suggestion ,ill look into it, was also looking into a few of the German styles, I dont have a fridge to lager, but was thinking of trying a darker lager but sticking the bucket in cold water and ice and just maintaining that for a couple weeks.

I know it will be a pain in the ass, but he would probably like that idea a bit more. As lager are clean crisp and dont have a lot of hop bitterness or flavor Usually.

You don't actually have to go to 50 - 55 F to ferment a lager. You can go up to 65 - 67 F just like an ale. The key is to have a very stable temperature, which you would not get with a bucket of ice water.

People make "steam" beers all the time, but it doesn't even have to be that style. Just keep the temp stable and it will work.

Beer Volcano said:
Ck27 said:

You don't actually have to go to 50 - 55 F to ferment a lager. You can go up to 65 - 67 F just like an ale. The key is to have a very stable temperature, which you would not get with a bucket of ice water.

People make "steam" beers all the time, but it doesn't even have to be that style. Just keep the temp stable and it will work.

Ironically I got it to 62 stable in water long enough to ferment :) beers actually a good lager :).

Back