• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add extract before grain

babychef

Brewer
Reaction score
I like to mix extract into water, and then steep specialty grains in the wort (as per Palmer's How To Brew). Is there a way to change the order of ingredients in BeerSmith, such that the extract shows up before the specialty grains? Thanks.

babychef said:
I like to mix extract into water, and then steep specialty grains in the wort (as per Palmer's How To Brew). Is there a way to change the order of ingredients in BeerSmith, such that the extract shows up before the specialty grains? Thanks.

I do it differently than  u i steep my grains and add the liquid to my boil pot then rinse them and then add my extract and bring to a boil. By doing it this way I've gotten better quality flavor and color. I've just done a nice part extract brew today for a competition.

Of course, the grains can be steeped first, and then the extract added to the boil. I just want to know if there is a way for BeerSmith to handle adding extract before steeping the grain, if I choose to do so.

babychef said:
Of course, the grains can be steeped first, and then the extract added to the boil. I just want to know if there is a way for BeerSmith to handle adding extract before steeping the grain, if I choose to do so.
You should be able to move ingredients around and do that, I have to go back and look into it since I haven't tried in a long time.

Did you ever figure this out, by any chance? I still can't find how to do it.

babychef said:
Did you ever figure this out, by any chance? I still can't find how to do it.

Nope :(. Maybe ask oginme? He might know

Back