Author Topic: Using a filter to transfer from secondary to my bottling bucket  (Read 716 times)

Offline Josh_Saratin

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Desert Sun Brewing
Using a filter to transfer from secondary to my bottling bucket
« on: October 04, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
This my just be a very simple answer... but I was doing some research about filters that can be used with the siphon when transferring to the bottling bucket. An example can be found here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOclJsjZnyY&t=428s).
I was wondering if there are any trade-offs or cons to using something like this while brewing? Is this worth investing in, do any of you use these or something similar ever?
Thank you so much in advance for your answers!
-Josh
Currently Bottled: Pretty Blonde Ale (Centennial, Cascade)
Currently in Progress: The Jefe Hefeweizen

Offline jtoots

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Using a filter to transfer from secondary to my bottling bucket
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »
I'm a keep it stupid simple kind of guy, so here are the reasons I wouldn't suggest this:
-Benefit is minor and can be accomplished other ways, primarily by keeping the bottom of the siphon off the very bottom of the fermenter.
-risk of contamination far exceeds benefit
-oxydation
-another step, another piece of equipment

I don't bottle any more, but when I did, I just siphoned it right in there. 

Offline GigaFemto

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »
That looks like a nightmare to clean and sanitize. I cold crash for a few days and get a very dense and compact layer of yeast/sediment at the bottom of the carboy. As long as I keep the siphon above that I have no problems and no need for a filter. I use one of the siphons with a little plastic tip on it, and I tip the carboy to make the liquid deeper on the side with the siphon. I can get virtually all the clear liquid and none of the sediment this way.

--GF

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:55:06 PM »
No. Its not worth the trouble and risks of contamination and oxygenation.  The only beers I bother to clarify are very blond ales like kolsch.  Even then only if I'm serving outside the home.  Even then, I use gelatin, no filter.  Granted I keg, so I add the gelatin as I transfer to the keg and I stir it in under co2. So no risk of oxygen. 

If I were bottling, I would not bother. The yeast will settle out in the bottle.  If you want better settling you could add gelatine with your priming sugar.  That would tighten up the dregs so it didn't mix as much when pouring.

Besides if you over filtered you could remove too much yeast and prevent a proper priming ferment in the bottle. I don't think flat (but clear) beer is what you want. 

R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes