• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water to Lauter

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I was reading Chris Colby's article on increasing extract efficiency in the May June issue of BYO.  In the article he suggests that the water needed to completely sparge your grain is dependent on the size of your grain bill.  He uses the example of a 7 lbs grain bill only yielding 4.5 gallons before he needs to stop while a larger grain bill will yield more wort before the grain is completely rinsed.  Another example given is that a 10lbs grain bill will yield 6.5 gallons of wort while a 16lbs grain bill would yield over 10 gallons of wort. 

This makes sense but I was wondering if there is some sort of formula you could use to determine how much wort you could expect your grain bill to produce?  I think if we could work this out and have a rough idea of how much wort our grain bill should be able to produce it would be a good benchmark to help us make adjustments to our process and system?   

Back