• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipes lost now WTF

jibba02

Apprentice
Reaction score
So about 4 weeks ago i opened beersmith to find everything gone. Recipes, profiles the lot!! Gone!!
And yes it tried everything to recover it but to no avail.

After that shitty experience i decided the cloud is the way forward from now on. How can i go wrong? Its the cloud. Everything good happens in the cloud!
Well FFS.... A recent recipe i created and brewed (Black IPA) all data was added to the cloud during brew day and during fermentation numbers were entered and notes were taken. Every time i opened the recipe to add new data everything was still there and changes i made had been saved. Well!!!!!! Until today. I opened the recipe and all the hop additions had disappeared and numbers i had entered during brew day were gone including the notes. The only thing left in the recipe is the Malt bill and Gypsum addition.

Oh and the type has changed form All Grain to Extract!

Im so Fing angry......

Any ideas what could have happened here?

Attachments

• Capture beersmith.PNG
    Capture beersmith.PNG
    84.1 KB · Views: 345
jibba02 said:
So about 4 weeks ago i opened beersmith to find everything gone. Recipes, profiles the lot!! Gone!!
And yes it tried everything to recover it but to no avail.

After that sh*tty experience i decided the cloud is the way forward from now on. How can i go wrong? Its the cloud. Everything good happens in the cloud!
Well FFS.... A recent recipe i created and brewed (Black IPA) all data was added to the cloud during brew day and during fermentation numbers were entered and notes were taken. Every time i opened the recipe to add new data everything was still there and changes i made had been saved. Well!!!!!! Until today. I opened the recipe and all the hop additions had disappeared and numbers i had entered during brew day were gone including the notes. The only thing left in the recipe is the Malt bill and Gypsum addition.

Oh and the type has changed form All Grain to Extract!
No clue what happened but ive been burned so badly by the cloud that I gave up on cloud technology plus its not that secure, I store all my beersmith files on a 256gb USB drive.
Im so Fing angry......

Any ideas what could have happened here?

Many times recipes are lost when using the cloud, something that Brad does not support and in fact, many time has has advised using any type of shared space.

So with that being said, I have never used the cloud for BS and guess what.  After having a registered copy for over 5 years, I opened the app tonight on my Win10 and I got the dreaded "you are running a trial copy"

ALL RECIPES/PROFILES... ARE GONE

Every file in every folder is now dated 9/13/2017 at approx 9:20PM when I launched the app

Brad, seriously this has been going on for years, it needs to be fixed

Please provide any and all instructions to try and recover everything.  Yes I have a backup from Jan2017 but seriously

Rick

Toy4Rick said:
Many times recipes are lost when using the cloud, something that Brad does not support and in fact, many time has has advised using any type of shared space.

So with that being said, I have never used the cloud for BS and guess what.  After having a registered copy for over 5 years, I opened the app tonight on my Win10 and I got the dreaded "you are running a trial copy"

ALL RECIPES/PROFILES... ARE GONE

Every file in every folder is now dated 9/13/2017 at approx 9:20PM when I launched the app

Brad, seriously this has been going on for years, it needs to be fixed

Please provide any and all instructions to try and recover everything.  Yes I have a backup from Jan2017 but seriously

Rick

Its been figured out to be  windows messing with it, when windows updates it tends to flush certain programs or tends to remove some all together its been doing it to me. All my recipies are stored as beersmith files on my NAS

Hmmm, sounds very far fetched to me, Windows is not known for messing with programs, files and such but I'll leave it at that.  In my case, all files within all folders of Documents\BeerSmith2 are time-stamped as of last night when I opened BS and received the Trial SW notice, effectively wiping out all data.  Something clearly triggered this and since the file dates were correlated with when BS started, it's highly unlikely to be that Windows messed with them.

In my case, I might have a clue, last week I enabled Google Drive Sync and the BS2 folder was set to sync.

Brad has always advised to not use any cloud storage to access recipes/files from multiple devices since the software has no file locking protection/logic to handle it.  Since I don't do that, I can only assume Google Drive Sync is the new wildcard

Brad, please weigh in on this very frustrating and important topic

Rick

Toy4Rick said:
Hmmm, sounds very far fetched to me, Windows is not known for messing with programs, files and such but I'll leave it at that.  In my case, all files within all folders of Documents\BeerSmith2 are time-stamped as of last night when I opened BS and received the Trial SW notice, effectively wiping out all data.  Something clearly triggered this and since the file dates were correlated with when BS started, it's highly unlikely to be that Windows messed with them.

In my case, I might have a clue, last week I enabled Google Drive Sync and the BS2 folder was set to sync.

Brad has always advised to not use any cloud storage to access recipes/files from multiple devices since the software has no file locking protection/logic to handle it.  Since I don't do that, I can only assume Google Drive Sync is the new wildcard

Brad, please weigh in on this very frustrating and important topic

Rick

I suppose that might have done it. I don't use cloud. I use my nas because it's got security and it has insurance that unless 4 drives die right at the same time nothing's going.anywhere.

Hey Brad,

Can you let us know if you are planning on addressing this anytime soon or are we stuck until the next version comes out?

Rick

Back