• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need a answer fast

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a question, I forgot that the hops from my home brew shop had oxygen absorber and a small Clear absorber fell into my boiling wort at 3-5 minutes of a boil is my wort/beer okay to drink when fermentation is done ??

Some say the Iron dust stuff is toxic and must not be consumed.  This is the stuff you find in food packets like beef jerky.  Though, some references say it is OK in small doses other say it isn't. 

I'd wondered what the stuff was in my beef jerky packets so I searched the web only to have conflicting results.  I would probably keep the beer as long as I was able to retrieve the packet.  It will settle to the bottom anyway.

jomebrew said:
Some say the Iron dust stuff is toxic and must not be consumed.  This is the stuff you find in food packets like beef jerky.  Though, some references say it is OK in small doses other say it isn't. 

I'd wondered what the stuff was in my beef jerky packets so I searched the web only to have conflicting results.  I would probably keep the beer as long as I was able to retrieve the packet.  It will settle to the bottom anyway.

It might have been a moisture absorber it's hard to tell it was completely clear and honestly looked like a mini bubble wrap. So I have no idea what it was and hope my beer is okay I would be pissed, really pissed if I did 6 hours of brewing to lose my batch. I will ask my Homebrew shop what it was

It had at most 3 minutes of contact time and was on the bottom of my brewing vessel on top of my false bottom. But I don't think it held enough chemicals to screw a batch of beer. I would be open to anyone's opinions.

It was not a packet but a thin clear piece of plastic that looked like it had little bubbles like bubble wrap.

Sounds more like silica gel which is benign. 

jomebrew said:
Sounds more like silica gel which is benign.
[/quote

I'd wager 5$ that's what it is since I know what oxy absorbers look like and it just doesn't look like any I have seen. I'll still ask my Homebrew shop bit for now l will assume beer is okay.]

Back