• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Malt Liquor recipe? - Pls share

BeerPundent

Apprentice
Reaction score
Just looking for a nice malt liquor recipe, I know it sounds odd, just had a really good one from Dark Horse, and Old Nation collab and would like to make my own, a very malty sweet and balanced beer. Pleas share some malt liquor recipes you might have

If you use the "cloud search" feature in BeerSmith you'll find 4 all grain malt liquor recipes. All but one will need to be scaled down. That should show you how popular that style is with home brewers:)

BOB357 said:
If you use the "cloud search" feature in BeerSmith you'll find 4 all grain malt liquor recipes. All but one will need to be scaled down. That should show you how popular that style is with home brewers:)

Yep :)

Yeah I know it's not a very popular stlye, just really enjoyed the one I had the other night and would like to try and replicate just need a base recipe to start somewhere

BeerPundent said:
Yeah I know it's not a very popular stlye, just really enjoyed the one I had the other night and would like to try and replicate just need a base recipe to start somewhere

I couldn't help ya, I'm a beer drinker on the odd case that I decide to drink.... I don't really drink that much beer surprisingly. I just love making it.

The term "Malt Liquor" and it's definition are fairly murky. In the 1800's the term was loosely applied to all sorts of beers. (at that time there was even a difference between "beer" and "ale".) Here is a quote from an early 1800's publication:

"Porter. A malt liquor of a deep brown colour and a peculiar flavour, which it derives from the malt used in brewing, it being highly dried in the malt-kilns. This, at least, was the composition of Porter until lately, when it has been found that the same colour and flavour may be communicated to liquor brewed from a mixture of brown and pale malt, by the addition of certain colouring matters, which being obtained from burning the same substance that causes the brown colour of the highly dried malt, produces a similar liquor it a far less expence of materials than when brown malt alone is used; because the pale malt yields a far greater proportion of saccharine matter than the brown, in which a share of the saccharum is burnt up in the kiln only for the purpose of producing a colour and flavour which may so easily be communicated to the beer of pale malt by a small quantity of burnt sugar."
?Pantologia: A new cyclopaedia Vol IX?, 1813

That article is primarily concerned with obtaining the color of Porter but note how Porter is referred to a a "malt liquor". Other styles too were given the label "malt liquor" including this reference from from a 1700's publication called "Directions for making Malt Liquor":

"When making a very strong malt liquor, for example an October Beer, only the first wort would be used. From the second a standard-strength Ale or Beer would be made and from later worts Small Beer."

Giving one a clue that perhaps malt liquors were a name given to stronger beers? Since everything else was termed "standard strength" and "small beer".

Here is more showing that all styles of beer could be termed malt liquor. It's a description of malts used from "A Systematic Handbook of Practical Brewing", by E.R. Southby, 1885, page 217 - 218:

"The following are the malts used for different qualities of malt liquor.

For pale ales, of course, only the palest malts can be used.

Mild ales are in most localities brewed of a higher colour than pale ales....(snip)

Porter and stout are brewed in Dublin from high-dried pale malt and black malt only, but London brewers generally prefer a grist containing all the three qualities of coloured malt, viz.: amber, brown, and black, in addition to the pale malt....(snip)

When black malt only is used in brewing porter and stout, one of black by measure, to seven of pale, is sufficient for the blackest beers, and one of black to twelve of pale is about the smallest proportion used...(snip)"

And finally a photo of an advertisement printed in 1923. It can lead one to believe that any alcoholic beverage made from malted grains was, at one time, called a "malt liquor"

The Modern Homebrew Recipes book by Gordon Strong includes a recipe for Malt Liquor that looks good.

Back