• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pumpkin Ale suggestions sought

Kevin58

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've never made a pumpkin ale but my wife loves Starbucks seasonal pumpkin coffee so I thought I'd give it a try. I have a good supply of Golden Promise and Vienna malt on hand. Will those malts make a good base for pumpkin ale?

Also, tell me if this sounds about right... I plan to add 3 to 4 pounds of pumpkin late in the boil. I've heard that you can use pumpkin in the mash but I have also heard that doing so is a good way to get a stuck mash.

I plan to add a spice extract of vanilla, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon either in a secondary step or directly to the keg so I can adjust to taste.

Finally, how does adding some lactose sugar sound?

I do pumpkin in both the mash and boil, but I BIAB so no worries about a stuck mash.  I do pumpkin spice at flameout and in the fermenter.  I've never tried lactose, so not sure how that would work.  Sounds like you have a good plan going

How does using pumpkin in the BIAB work out? It doesn't just turn into a goo that squishes out of the bag? Also, how do you chill? I have a plate chiller and worry about gumming up the works.

Thanks,
Kevin

I put the pumpkin in a paint strainer bag, so no excess goop.  I have an immersion chiller, so not sure what would happen to a plate chiller

Don't waste your time with the pumpkin. Very little of that flavor comes through and is a pain if you are using a fresh pumpkin. Starbucks used to use real pumpkin in their lattes but people didn't like it. Now they stick to just the spices of a pumpkin pie. Really, that's all people are going for. Pumpkin itself doesn't really taste great, it's just a conduit to all that sugar and spice!

Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, cloves...Things in a pumpkin pie basically! ;)

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to bypass using actual pumpkin. It just sounds like a lot of headache for very little return.

Back