Author Topic: Fermenting in corny kegs?  (Read 613 times)

Offline mac21st

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Fermenting in corny kegs?
« on: July 28, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »
What are your thoughts on fermenting in ball lock corny kegs? Obviously a 5 gallon batch in primary you risk a lot of blow off, but I've also read that the geometry of a vessel can effect fermentation. Your thoughts.

Offline jtoots

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Fermenting in corny kegs?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »
I'm about to give it a shot, I think... I pulled a rookie move and transferred to the keg, then checked gravity afterward.  Fermentation didn't finish (come to find out the yeast has a tendency to stall out), so I'm going to add some Safale US-05 to try and get it to finish off.  Once it's done (fingers crossed) I'll probably transfer it to a different keg to get it off the yeast.  I'm thinking blowoff tube.

Offline mac21st

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »
Yeah I heard hook a blow off to the gas in post and stick the other end in to a bucket of star San should work. I think I'm going to try for primary on my next batch.

Offline jtoots

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »
Yeah so I ended up doing this yesterday, that's how I did it.  I hooked it up with the gas disconnect, just like if I was coming off of a CO2 tank, but dropped the other end of the tube in a bucket of StarSan.  This morning it was bubbling away.

Offline mac21st

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »
How did primary go? What was your OG and how much head space was in the keg when you filled it? Was there a lot of blow off?

Offline jtoots

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:56 AM »
i haven't opened it up to see how it went, but there was very little headspace and i surprisingly didn't have any krausen get up into the blowoff tube.  Gravity started off about halfway toward finished (this is a saison that i should have warmed up when it slowed but kegged before taking a reading - whoops).

planning on a transfer tomorrow.