• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

water profile help

Russell

Brewer
Reaction score
when I do a water profile it calls for putting the amounts of salts in (Gypsum, Calcium chloride etc.). Are these amounts for the whole amount of water or Grams per gallon?

Those would be total additions based upon the volume of the water specified in your water profile tool (right next to the "base profile" button).

so the amounts under IONS and Recommended range (the white ones) are for the full amount of water which in my case is 5.5 gallons?

IF you have 5.5 gallons plugged into the water tool, then yes.  Realize that when you apply this to a recipe, it will adjust the minerals based upon the actual water usage (including the grain absorption), so the salt addition amounts will adjust to maintain the same ion balance as in the water profile.

Edit:  I should have asked if 5.5 gallons was the "total water needed" or your batch size?  You really want to base the water profile on the total water needed or, if you are just using the salts to adjust your mash pH, your mash water requirement.

Back