• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe conversion help needed

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I need the help of experts since I am in over my head.

20+ years ago I ran across a partial grain recipe that won a 1992 Best in Show competition in Minnesota.  I made it and my father thought it was the best he had tasted.  He keeps asking for more as he consumes the prior batches.

The problem is that we have moved to rural Arkansas and the local suppliers do not have the original ingredients so I kept substituting different products to compensate.  What I am left with is sort of blah -- certainly not what dad expects. 

The original recipe is below along with my questions in red.  I would appreciate this group of experts to help me change the ingredients to match the original result as close as possible using grains and adjuncts that are available is most American brew supply shops.  Note that some of the kits were hopped so my notion is that if I use grains I would need to add additional hops but the question is how much. 

My preferred technique for brewing is BIAB. 

Original Ingredients
4 pounds Mountmellick Stout kit, hopped  (not readily available)
3 pounds Cooper?s Stout kit, hopped  (not readily available)
1 pound Laaglander dark DME  (grain equivalent??)
? pound Australian dark DME  (grain equivalent??)
1 pound crystal malt 40? Lovibound
? pound crystal malt 110? Lovibound
? pound Chocolate malt
? pound Roasted barley
? pound Black patent malt
? ounce English Kent Goldings hops, 5.9% alpha, in boil 60 minutes
? ounce Bramling Cross hops, 5.3% alpha, in boil 30 minutes  (equivalent??)
? ounce Cascade hops, 4.8% alpha, in boil 10 minutes
1 ounce Cascade hops, 4.8% alpha, steep
3 teaspoons Gypsum
1 package Burton water salts
2 inches brewer?s licorice
2 ounces Lactose
1 teaspoon Irish moss
Wyeast # 1084 Irish Ale
? cup Corn sugar, for priming

Back