• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith EBC v Grainfather EBC

andyn2001

Brewer
Reaction score
I have recently purchased the Grainfather, but still create recipes in Beersmith, as I have been used to using this for 5 years now and I like it. However, when I copy the recipe into Grainfather I get a different EBC for the recipe. For example, a Porter I copied over is 56.1 EBC in Beersmith, but 47.8 EBC when I import into Grainfather. I've been scratching my head for days and just cannot work out why. Has anyone else found the same/understand why it is happening?

The Grainfather software is not quite fully developed or accurate yet. They are still working on it so I would put it down to that, but its not that far off, I would use beersmith over it as its been around for years and a lot of the smaller bugs have been squished out.

andyn2001 said:
I have recently purchased the Grainfather, but still create recipes in Beersmith, as I have been used to using this for 5 years now and I like it. However, when I copy the recipe into Grainfather I get a different EBC for the recipe. For example, a Porter I copied over is 56.1 EBC in Beersmith, but 47.8 EBC when I import into Grainfather. I've been scratching my head for days and just cannot work out why. Has anyone else found the same/understand why it is happening?

I would recommend double checking the color of each of the grains you are using versus the lots yo purchase.  I buy base malts in sacks (usually 25 kgs) and need to update the grain specs based upon the maltster's lot analysis.  Same (or more so) with the specialty grains. I can always get the lot number from the LHBS for the lot they currently have in stock.

Back