• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does anyone have a clone recipe for Bert Grant's Perfect Porter?

M

mtwhickory

(This is my first post, so be easy).  I am on my second try (BG2 as I call it).  Both tries have produced great beers but neither with the complexity and "burnt sugar" taste that I remember.  I am working off a list of ingredients that I found last year on a forgotten site- (Serving Temperature: 50-55 F; Int'l Bittering Units: 25.0; Alcohol by Volume: 3.8%; Malts: Pale, Caramel, Chocolate, Wheat, Peated; Hops: Willamette).  I am guessing at amounts and altering per try. 

The first batch was 8oz UK Peated Malt, 1lb UK Crystal 60L (Caramel), 1lb UK Chocolate 340-450L, 1lb (American) Wheat 2L, 3lbs Briess Sparkling Amber dry malt ext (I wasn't sure if it would have enough alcohol so I kicked this in).  Willamette yeast.  This turned out a great smoky porter, but not Bert Grant's Perfect.

The second try (BG2) is definitely closer.  I halved the chocolate and doubled the crystal.  The caramel is more pronounced and the color is closer, but it is still missing what I call the "burnt sugar" taste I remember from BG Perfect Porter.  Also, I remember the Perfect Porter having a clearer almost brown/red tint to it.  Any suggestions on how to get this right?

I am also looking for a clone recipe for Bert Grant's Perfect Porter.  I did find a recipe for historical Porter recipe's at the followinging link.  But have not tried it yet.

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/style/porter.html

This recipe uses "smoked brown malt" which may give you the "smoked sugar" taste your looking for.

Not sure if you have found a clone but there is one in "Clone Brews".

For 19L Bert Grant's Perfect Porter
Grain bill: 3.3kg British 2-row pale malt, 340g British chocolate malt, 283g 40L american crystal malt, 57g peated malt.
Mash at 68C for 90min
90 minute boil.
Hop additions: 90 mins - 26g Northern Brewer (7.9AA)

OG: 1.046-1.047
FG: 1.014-1.015
ABV: 4.1%
IBU: 30

Back