• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

At which temperature should I measure Total Water Needed?

hausofstrauss

Apprentice
Reaction score
I think I've made a discovery when tuning a new equipment profile.  I went through and try to audit the volume calculations and as far as I can tell, the Total Water Needed value seems to be the volume at elevated temperatures (somewhere between mash temps and boiling).  Since I use BIAB and no sparge methods, I've realized that I've been using those values to measure my water at room temperatures, which has been causing me to add about 4% too much water each time I've been brewing.

Could someone set me straight if this is in fact true?

You are correct that the infusion volume calculated is with the thermal expansion included.  I do biab as well and set my thermal expansion to 2%, as the list is near the value at which I measure my volume after draining the bag.  I subtract that 2% when measuring out the cold water the night before brewing.

Back