• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"Mash Acid Amount" and "Sparge Acid"

mpmccann

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been brewing and using BS for many years and have been interested in "water" for the last 4. It is really the last item left for me to control in my brewing process after "mash temp" and "fermentation temp", and I might add one of the hardest to get a handle on. I do get a water report from Ward Labs every year and it stays pretty consistent with only very minor changes.
All that being said, I have tried to add a couple of fields to my main screen to help me monitor what is going on with my water. The two fields in question are "Mash Acid Amount" and "Sparge Acid" These fields are grayed out and I assume are calculations made by BS since I can not edit them.
My first question is what changes them as they both read zero and I can't figure out how to use them to my advantage.
Second question is, in my process I treat the entire water in the HLT with salts, lets say 10 gallons for a 5 gallon batch. Then mash in at said temp. I then want to heat the remainder of the treated sparge water and add some lactic acid to lower the PH for the sparging process. "I batch Sparge" How can I add this step to the recipe formula so it will show in the brew steps. I know I can add lactic acid to the recipe but I would like to say I am only adding it to the sparge water, and then have the brew steps call for that process at the appropriate time.
I believe that this may boil down to a process thing and I understand that everyone has their own way of brewing and that there is no right or wrong way. I also understand I may be trying to use these functions incorrectly so any input would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Matt... 8) 

I think this article will cover how the mash pH estimation and adjustment is done in the current version:
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/08/10/using-the-new-brewing-water-and-mash-ph-tools-in-beersmith-2-3/

Brad

I am relatively new to beersmith and have just downloaded Beersmith 3.
My query is regarding how the calculation is made for the acid addition to sparge water.
I?ve been able to add the salts I want to the mash and sparge.
It also gives me the correct amount of acid to add to the mash to get to my required ph.
However the sparge/mash out acid calculation says 0,1 ml.
I feel that this should be equal to or even more than the addition it recommends for the mash addition.
When I go to the "session" tab it says that the ph of the sparge run off is 6... which is too high of course.
Why is the software not giving me the correct amount of acid to add to the sparge water?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Jeremy

Back