• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation with maple syrup

lebonro

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My question is about carbonation.
I made this strong Scotch ale recipe. I want to do everything with maple syrup.
Instead, I take my water from the trees and boil it for 15 minutes before the mash step.
The reading was [3 Brix] or [1,012]. That's why my pre-boil was higher by the same amount.
OG was also higher (1,077).
Now it's time to bottling and I want to make the carbonation with maple syrup.

I test 1g. of maple syrup in 100ml of water
result is [1 Brix]
Same thing if I take 1g. of corn sugar in 100ml of water.

So I can replace corn sugar with maple syrup with the same weight.

The question is does all the sugar in maple syrup is fermentable?

Thanks!!!
Robert

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.72 l
Post Boil Volume: 24.22 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 20.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 42.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Amt        Name                                                      Type          #        %/IBU         
34.00 l      Varennes, Qc                                          Water        1        -             
4.50 kg      Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)                Grain        2        64.0 %       
1.00 kg      Biscuit Special Roast (98.5 EBC)              Grain        3        14.2 %       
0.50 kg      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 70/80L  (150.0 EB  Grain        4        7.1 %         
56.00 g      Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0    Hop          5        27.4 IBUs     
1.00 tsp    Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)                        Fining        6        -             
0.73 kg      Maple Syrup Sève [Boil for 15 min](69.0  Sugar        7        10.4%       
0.30 kg      Maple Syrup sirop [Boil for 15 min](69.0    Sugar        8        4.3%         
1.0 pkg      Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml Yeast        9        -             

Hello Robert,

I am not an expert but found this:......seems a lot of syrup?

Maple sap typically contains about 2% sucrose. Maple syrup is standardized at a minimum of 66? Brix, and is typically 95% sucrose or more. Grade B syrup can contain 6% invert sugar, while Grade A Light Amber will contain less than 1%. You will get more maple flavor from the Grade B syrup. The characteristic maple flavors tend to be lost during primary fermentation, so adding the syrup after primary fermentation is over is recommended to retain as much flavor as possible. This practice will also help the beer to ferment more completely because it will not trigger the maltose inhibition discussed earlier. For a noticeable maple flavor, 1 gallon (3.8 L) of Grade B syrup is recommended per 5-gallon (19-L) batch of beer.

Back