• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

tastes like yeast

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

My final beer tastes a little yeasty.

I crash cooled the beer for about 3 hours, and got it down to about 4 degrees C.

then left it overnight and barreled  / bottles next day.

It just tastes a little yeasty, could that be due to all of the yeast not dropping down to the bottom?

On a second note, I primed my bottles with sugar and the i get that pop when i open them, however, there doesnt appear to be any carbonation in the beer itself - Any thoughts i put about half a teaspoon per bottle.

Thanks

From my experience, it takes a couple of days in cold crash to get most of the yeast to hibernate and settle out.  I do not get it down to 4C but usually around 7C to 9C and leave it for 3 to 5 days, depending upon the strain of yeast and my schedule.  This usually reduces the yeast in the bottle to a very fine layer across the bottom when completely carbonated - almost see-through.

Once I bottle, I leave the bottles at room temp for about 2 weeks before testing for carbonation.  I mark the last couple of bottles I filled and use those for a carbonation test.  I put one into the refrigerator at about 10 days after bottling and let it sit for 3 or 4 days before testing it.  While the pressure may be building in the bottle, it takes cooler temperatures for the beer to absorb much of the carbonation. 

Lastly, there are some strains which are very low flocculating and take quite a while to settle to the bottom.  Lager yeasts are often like this, but there are some ale strains that tend to hang in suspension for a while as well.

Back