• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equal Runnings are not calculated correctly v2.3.12

sircasio

Apprentice
Reaction score
I did a quick recipe and chose a single infusion sparge profile for the mash. When I went to the vols tab I saw that the "Tot Mash Water Adds" was roughly equivalent to "Sparge Vol". I went to the Mash Profile Editor and verified "Use equal batch sizes" was checked. I also noticed if I checked/unchecked this box the mash in volume didn't change. I also checked/unchecked "Drain mash tun before sparging" - no effect.

The help link within "Mash Profiles" links to the BeerSmith guide for Batch Sparging where it states it will create equal runnings using:
Two stage batch sparge additions:
batch_1_sparge_liters = (boil_size_l/2 ? mash_water_l + grain_wt_kg * 0.625)
batch_2_liters = boil_size_l / 2
http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/09/how-to-batch-sparge-a-guide-for-batch-sparging-and-no-sparge/

I don't see a way using the built in mash profiles to get this result.

The setting for 'use equal batch sizes' in the mash profile relates to the sparge steps only.  It does not mean equal runnings.  What this does is split the sparge amount between two separate sparges AFTER THE MASH INFUSION when the sparge volume and grain + absorbed water volume is greater than the capacity limit set for the mash tun.

In your excerpt from the article:

Two stage batch sparge additions:
batch_1_sparge_liters = (boil_size_l/2 ? mash_water_l + grain_wt_kg * 0.625)
batch_2_liters = boil_size_l / 2

The first line is not the batch sparge but the initial infusion volume and is not calculated in the sparge step but is controlled by the infusion mash step.  I can see from the article that it is confusing the way Brad had labeled it.

When I made my mash profiles, I set up the infusion volumes using the equations above for an average (for me) grain bill.  While the actual runnings from both mash and sparge steps may vary a little bit from being equal, they are close enough that it will not make a significant difference in the end results.

Thanks...I can manually adjust the volumes, but I shouldn't have to - and Brad himself states his tool does it for you - yet it doesn't appear to do so - and you confirm this.

Was this something that did work in 1.x but is now gone in 2.x? It would appear to be the most common homebrew sparge technique, yet isn't available in the tool.

I have never used the 1.x generation of the software, so I cannot speak to that.  I have never found where Brad has stated that the software calculating equal runnings is a function built in to BeerSmith.

His articles are meant to be informative about brewing process and materials, but do not necessarily represent what is current capability of the software.

Back