• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry Hopping in Secondary - Temperature and Headspace

wbh01

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just brewed an IPA, and the primary fermentation is just about finished.  I've recently added a fridge and a controller so I can controller the fermentation temperature profile, which leads to my question. 

My primary fermentation is running at 68 degrees F.  Once primary is complete, I will keep the temp at 68 F for 3 more days to give the yeast time to reabsorb diacetyl, etc.  Then I'll be ready to add my dry hops.  Here's my question - should I cold crash for a week first to get as much yeast as possible to settle, and then warm the beer back up before dry hopping, or should I just dry hop immediately after primary ends, and then cold crash after I finish dry hopping?  Have any of you tried both of these methods?

On one hand, I want to dry hop warm to get the most oil extraction.  On the other hand, I want the least amount of yeast in suspension, soaking up those oils.  On yet another hand, maybe the temperature changes (cold to warm to cold again later) are worse for the beer than any perceived benefits.

Keep in mind that I'll be doing all of this in one vessel - no racking off the yeast - which actually brings up another question.  Have any of you noticed any difference in dry hopping results related to the amount of headspace in your fermenting vessel?  I've just wondered if the beer would retain more hop aroma if there were less headspace available for the hop aroma "escape" into. 

Thanks!

Hi wbh01,

Personally, I would cold crash for 3 days prior to kegging at around 2.5-3 deg C (36.5-37F), to enable all the yeast, and haze proteins to develop and drop our of suspension.

Dry hopping, you can do for several days prior, while it's still warmer. Then cold crash.

Cheers, Kev.

Hi Wbh01

2 things that I learned with a professional brewer :  if you want to dry hop during a cold crash, the temperature need to be around 10C / 50F, colder then that you won't extract the oil properly.

It take around 4 days to extract the optimal of the oil. If you keep your hops for too long, you will get grassy flavor.

By doing a cold crash at the end, it will clear the yeast and the hops residue

Hope this help

Back