• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

DAMN!!!!!

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Did a collaboration brew with my buds and we let it sit for 6 months. Yesterday we decided to divvy and bottle and I swear, somebody dropped a bottle of nail polish remover in it.

We put the barrel together in October, the tested in December. So there were 2 months there, and it was fine

Questioned the person holding the barrel and through questioning I found out that he and one of the others popped the bung to thief out a sample to check it. They said when they tested it, it tasted great. That makes me think that the contaminant hadn't been introduced to that point.

Now I have done 8 barrel collaborations to date and this is the first time it went south.  This was the 2nd in this barrel, Makers Mark. The first being an awesome Wee Heavy.

I told them that nailing for sample was usually the way to test a barrel, if a test is done at all.

To my esteemed colleagues; Is the fact that they opened it up probably the cause of the contamination?

I have a brewing friend who would probably be able to help you.  He has had the nail polish remover problem.  Once of them actually went away with time in the bottle.  Go to http://mutedog.beer/wild-yeast and ask him on his blog about your issue.  He might have your answer.  He understands the chemicals that create this flavor and aroma in beer very well.

I had that a couple of times before I fixed up a fermentation fridge. It was caused by high fermentation temperature. A few people told me it would diminish in time but it didn't.

Unfortunately the batch was dumped... However the smell and the taste was so bad, I don't think there would be any salvation to this one... Lesson learned, though. And that is what this hobby is all about. Well that and enjoying some awesome brews from time to time!

Back