• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beersmith xml

emdubeu

Apprentice
Reaction score
The <DISPLAY_TIME> for <Hop> in the xml file for a recipe displays time. If you have a dry hop addition, the <DISPLAY_TIME> value should be in days, not time. Right?

<HOP>
<NAME>El Dorado</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<ORIGIN>U.S.</ORIGIN>
<ALPHA>15.0000000</ALPHA>
<AMOUNT>0.0850485</AMOUNT>
<USE>Dry Hop</USE>
<TIME>7200.0000000</TIME>
<NOTES>Bred by CLS Farms, LLC, available on a larger scale for the first time during 2012 harvest. Fits the dual purpose/special mold.
Used for: Experimental Ales
Aroma: Tropical fruit flavors, intense aromas of stone fruits (pear, cherries), candy (Lifesavers), watermelon.
Substitutions: None at this time
Storage: Good
14-16% AA / 7-8% Beta</NOTES>
<TYPE>Both</TYPE>
<FORM>Pellet</FORM>
<BETA>7.5000000</BETA>
<HSI>20.0000000</HSI>
<DISPLAY_AMOUNT>3.00 oz</DISPLAY_AMOUNT>
<INVENTORY>0.00 oz</INVENTORY>
<DISPLAY_TIME>5.0 min</DISPLAY_TIME>

emdubeu said:
The <DISPLAY_TIME> for <Hop> in the xml file for a recipe displays time. If you have a dry hop addition, the <DISPLAY_TIME> value should be in days, not time. Right?

<HOP>
<NAME>El Dorado</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<ORIGIN>U.S.</ORIGIN>
<USE>Dry Hop</USE>
<NOTES>Bred by CLS Farms, LLC, available on a larger scale for the first time during 2012 harvest. Fits the dual purpose/special mold.
Aroma: Tropical fruit flavors, intense aromas of stone fruits (pear, cherries), candy (Lifesavers), watermelon.
<TYPE>Both</TYPE>
<FORM>Pellet</FORM>
<BETA>7.5000000</BETA>
<HSI>20.0000000</HSI>

Oginme said:
emdubeu said:

<HOP>
<NAME>El Dorado</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<ORIGIN>U.S.</ORIGIN>
<USE>Dry Hop</USE>
<TYPE>Both</TYPE>
<FORM>Pellet</FORM>
<BETA>7.5000000</BETA>
<HSI>20.0000000</HSI>

I'm assuming you highlighted that section in red font because that is what you are suggesting I use. However, I need to use the DISPLAY_TIME in hopes that the math conversion to days would already be done. I'm not sure how to convert the <TIME> to days...

Besides, in beersmith, when selecting a hop ingredient, if you choose "dry hop" as your hop use, the Dry Hop for field is used and not the Boil/Steep field.

Attachments

• display time.JPG
    display time.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 311
I'm wondering if this is a defect, now that I've wasted several hours on it.

If you look at this example xml, http://www.beerxml.com/recipes.xml (from http://www.beerxml.com/) you'll notice the DRY HOP reference correctly displays the DISPLAY_TIME as days, which is what I was expecting. I wonder what version of beersmith that example was created with. I'm using Beersmith 2.

Is anyone else seeing minutes in their DISPLAY_TIME field in their xml files when using a dry hop?

Oginme said:
7200 min /60 min/hr = 120 hrs

120 hrs/ 24 hrs/day = 5 days

Thank you; I'll have to use that formula as a work around.

By the way, I'm trying to import the beersmith's xml recipe files into my google spreadsheet in conjunction with this project: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471844&page=85

Attachments

• tilt.JPG
    tilt.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 291
I just submitted this to Beersmith, as I believe it is a defect in the xml file.
_________

I believe there is a bug in the beerxml that gets produced when exporting a recipe through Beersmith(version 2).

When you read the exported xml file, for a recipe that utilizes a 5 Day Dry Hop, you'll notice the <DISPLAY_TIME> tag is for 5.0 min and not 5 days. Example xml below.

<HOP>
<NAME>Galaxy</NAME>
<VERSION>1</VERSION>
<ORIGIN>Australia</ORIGIN>
<ALPHA>14.0000000</ALPHA>
<AMOUNT>0.0425243</AMOUNT>
<USE>Dry Hop</USE>
<NOTES>
A high alpha, dual purpose seedless hops with a unique hop aroma. It can be used either for bittering or as a late hop addition to provide a flavor of citrus and passionfruit to the finished beer. Aroma: Intense, pleasant, unique.
</NOTES>
<TYPE>Bittering</TYPE>
<FORM>Pellet</FORM>
<BETA>5.9000000</BETA>
<HSI>35.0000000</HSI>
<DISPLAY_AMOUNT>1.50 oz</DISPLAY_AMOUNT>
</HOP>

Back