• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Troubles adjusting an extract recipe from a all-grains

Grummore

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Greetings,

I was wondering if someone could help me adjust or at least point me how I could modify an extract recipe (in attachement) I made out of an existing all-grains one.

I'm trying to transform an Irish Red Ale All-Grains to an Extract recipe and I cannot find a way to adjust the ingredient so the extract look like the all-grains.

I have put in attachement, the All-Grain bsxml file I am trying to convert and the bsxml file of the extract recipe I did so far.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Ragin Red Honey Red Ale AG.bsmx
    19.2 KB · Views: 385
  • Sweet Blood [Honey Red Ale].bsmx
    18.1 KB · Views: 378
First, understand that you will probably be a couple points high on your color using extract.  The process of removing the water causes some gain in color of the wort/extract.  Your 'Pale liquid Extract' is at 8 SRM according to your recipe, which is a bit on the high side for light extract.  Briess Golden light LME is 6 SRM. 

Now, for your conversion of this recipe.  I would take your 2-row pale malt and sub it in for the lightest extract you can get.  Now click on the slider below the recipe box and enter the target OG for the recipe.  This will cause some variation on the color and bitterness.  You can do the same adjustment to the bitterness by clicking on the slider and entering in the IBU target from the original recipe.

Any attempt to get the color to match the standard will result in changing the specialty malts and change the flavor profile of the original recipe.

oooooh! Thanks! I never noticed that I could play with the 4 colored lines (Grav, Color, Bitter, %).

Yeah, spam. But why? Not really a discussion topic in the thread though.

Back