• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mystery Hops

evilgiraffe

Brewer
Reaction score
So I was at the local homebrew shop yesterday picking up some stuff and when I went to check out, the lady gave me a free 1oz pack of hops labeled "gift". I asked her what they were and she said "Hops....from Europe, I think". After a little more prodding, it turns out that she and her husband (the owners of the shop) made a mistake and forgot to label the packs and couldn't remember what they were (and couldn't determine it from a smell test either--haha). So they were giving them away as gifts. Funny and nice enough.......So now I'm wondering what I should do with them. I don't know the variety, I don't know the alphas, I don't know anything. I'm thinking to just throw them into a standard pale ale and see what I get, but because I don't know how much bittering they'll contribute, I'm also thinking that maybe I should use them toward the end of the boil. But I'm wondering if that's a good strategy. Any other ideas?

Greetings evilgiraffe - interesting subject.  I would use them as the very late addition as you suggested, or even better yet, as a dry hop.  This way your safe.  You might be disappointed if you use them as a main flavoring ingredient.

Good luck!

There is a way to determine bitterness by adding a tiny measured amount to a cup of boiling water, boil, cool and taste. compare to a known bitterness hop prepared the same way. I have done this with homegrown hops to get a ballpark for bitterness. But yeah, otherwise use them for aroma- post boil or dry hop.  CHEERS!

Thanks, guys. Nice to know I was on the right track. Will most likely use it as a very late addition to the boil.

Back