• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New member?

BOB357

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I started out with Beersmith 1.? Can't remember when I first registered on the forum. Hey, I' pushing 70 and have been beat over the head way too many times :) I used to just peruse the forum, but since retiring have been participating whenever I can duck the honey-dos.

Depending on the time of day or night, my posts/responses may vary in value as well as readability. If I wake in the middle of the night, I drink so I can return to sleep, so posts between 11:pM and 4 AM should probably be ignored unless you find entertainment value in them. Other than those hours, I would use due caution, as I have been known to imbibe without looking at the clock.

With that out of the way, I live in the high desert about an hour east of Reno, NV. I batch sparge in the colder months and BIAB in the summer. My favorite styles are West Coast IPAs, APAs, Blondes and Redheads. The first 2 are 6 gallon batches. Love the "C" hops and Rahr 2-row. Prefer English Ale yeasts and build from  RO water. Seldom use crystal malts in IPAs and am developing a taste for Amber malt to take their place. I also keg.

Beyond brewing beer, I cure and/or smoke my own Hams, bacon, pastrami, corned beef, etc., make lots of jerky and sausages, as well as grilling anything  protein. Recently my brewing has grown to include cider and organic apple cider vinegar. I love to fly fish and cycle. Did I mention that I drink too?

Lastly, I'd like to give a shout out to my LHBS, Brew Chatter,  in Sparks, NV. These guys are great and for a small and relatively new business have a great inventory of equipment and fresh ingredients.

Back