• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Automatic brewer's controller

I guess most of us do not what may be available in or near Brazil.
But here is my information.

I built my own system using PID controllers and sensors from Auber Instruments
http://www.auberins.com/
I used a Spa panel to join two opposing 110 vac phases to get 220vac out with GFCI protection.
I use a single 4500 watt stainless element in a 15 gal pot.
I do tap one of the 110vac phases for pump control.
I use Two SYL-2362 PID controllers , One for heating and the other for temp controlled chilling.
The heating PID drives two 40 amp heat sink mounted Solid State Relays, one for each leg of the 220 vac.
A third SSR is used to control the 110vac pump that pushes the wort through a plate chiller.
Mash out to boil time is about 40 minutes.
I can't use a higher wattage element due the the size of my in house wiring.
I get the 220 by using (2) 110 vac plugs plugged into normal household 15 amp outlets with breakers on opposite phases.
I do it this way so I can brew in the kitchen during the winter. I put the pot on the stove to use the hood fan while boiling.
I configured the system as a two vessel RIMS but recirculate through the pot instead of a RIMS tube.
Single pump system pumps to the top of the TUN, gravity back to the kettle. Tun elevated on plastic milk creates.
After the boil the pump is reconnected to recirculate from the kettle to the plate chiller and back to the kettle.
The plate chiller is mounted to the side of the TUN elevating milk creates.
The kitchen faucet is the water supply, the sink is the water water dump.
Building this myself was much lower cost than buying a commercial control.

I hope this is of some help! 

Good Luck

Pirate Point Brewer

Back