• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Forced Carb vs Bottle Conditiong

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am looking for the pros and cons of force carbonating in a keg verses bottle conditioning.  And so I am clear on the definition of bottle condition is that when priming sugar is added to a bottle of beer to carbonate it?  Priming sugar would be used for bottle conditioning.  Is there a difference in taste, the head or any other categories?  I am assuming once the beer is bottle conditioned(carbonated) then it would be stored in a cool location(around 55 F degrees)? 

Cheers!!!

Pros for forced carbonation:  Better control over level of carbonation and faster carbonation

That is about it.  I don't see a downside.

My wife swears that she can tell a bottle carbonated beer from one that is forced carbonated and someday when I get around to picking up some kegging equipment I will put her to the test.  I certainly can't tell the difference, CO2 is CO2.  And since she doesn't read the forums I can state that my taste buds are much better than hers without starting an argument.

Pros: If you have a dispensing setup, kegging and forced carbonating is much cleaner and easier. You also don't have to contend with sediment, can filter your beer, and be ready to drink sooner.

Cons: Big one is expense. Kegs, CO2, regulator. Also, you need a fridge to fit your kegs. Sometimes, you might also want that sediment and yeasty taste.

Yes, there is some taste difference (most probably prefer cleaner taste of forced carb) . Larger issue is non-purists might not like dealing with sediment as they drink.

If you want to force carb and bottle, you can try something like the beer gun, but expect to get a little messy even in the best situation.

I usually do both. Make 46 liters, fill 2 - 19 liter kegs for force carb, and bottle prime the remaining 6- 8 liters in poly and/ or glass 650 ml bottles.
The kegged beer is ready in 3 days and cleaner tasting, the primed beer is fuller tasting as it gets a tad stronger. I can feel the bubbles in the bottle primed beer are slightly different- more natural. Both ways the beer is really good. I use a poly bottle as a pressure gauge to ensure the rest are building pressure too.

The 650 ml bottles make  nice gifts or nice to have a fancy drink with a good dinner, the keg is for consuming mass quantities with no empties mess.
Keg drinking is easy and discreet at there is no evidence for others (wife) to tell how much you had!

I really don't have any Pro/Con info to add that hasn't already been well covered by others here!!

I do have a simple observation for Oginme in his possible competition with his wife!!

My simple observation, not including the previously covered sediment issues, is that the gas bubbles in a bottle conditioned beer are often smaller or finer than a forced conditioned beer. This is much more noticeable in beers mashed for a more full mouth feel. Not as noticeable in lighter beers!

Please don't ask me why!!!  That kind of knowledge comes from a much higher pay grade!!

I know that probably, like me, you never really win one with your wife, but hopefully this will help keep you from going too far under!!  :)

Good Luck!

Pirate Point Brewer

I see kegging and forced carbonating as a great time saver. Once you have made the initial investment, I really see no downside. I do see an advantage to bottling beers that benefit from aging in that the fermentation during priming takes up oxygen and helps to limit staling. Portability of bottles seems to be a non-issue, as you can easily bottle from a keg and not worry about sediment or carbonation level if done properly.

Thanks to all for the responses.
I am a firm believer in kegging.  I agree the carbonation is more consistent, faster, easier and cleaner.
The wife issue is a different story.  We never win that one.  Even if your right.
Just picked up a 15.0 cubic foot chest freezer.  Looks like I can fit 6 cornys easy and squeeze in 7. Also my lager problems are over. Life got better.

Cheers!!!

A happy wife is good.

Back