• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Advanced settings for profile instead of global

sni

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently using different systems to brew on and the grain absorption rate varies significantly depending on my ability to apply pressure to the grain bed at the end of the lauter. Is it possible to have advanced settings for equipment profiles so I can adjust the grain absorption value on each?
Thank you for your help!

Greetings sni - if I understand your question, I believe you can simply make two, three or more equipment profiles with each having a different grain absorption rate. After creating the new equipment profile, simply save it.  Then you can recall it at any time.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

KellerBrauer:  Unfortunately, grain absorption is a global setting and not a part of the equipment file.  The global setting allows for differentiation between BIAB and more traditional mash-tun set ups, but many of us with multiple set ups find that limiting.  If I choose to do a high gravity beer in my BIAB system, I need to do a sparge in a separate pot, and that profile cannot be set as a BIAB type of brew, thus defaulting to my grain absorption for my mash tun set up.  Being able to set the grain absorption in the equipment profile would eliminate that issue.

Thanks Oginme! I was unaware of that; for some reason I thought the grain absorption was part of the equipment profile. Thanks again!

Oginme said:
KellerBrauer:  Unfortunately, grain absorption is a global setting and not a part of the equipment file.  The global setting allows for differentiation between BIAB and more traditional mash-tun set ups, but many of us with multiple set ups find that limiting.  If I choose to do a high gravity beer in my BIAB system, I need to do a sparge in a separate pot, and that profile cannot be set as a BIAB type of brew, thus defaulting to my grain absorption for my mash tun set up.  Being able to set the grain absorption in the equipment profile would eliminate that issue.

That's my problem exactly!

What has worked for me to a great extent is to set the grain absorption to the lowest value (set for my 14 liter system) and then based upon an average grain bill, add the difference in water retention for the mash tun (20 liter system) to my lauter tun loss.  I typically target for 22 liters post boil volume, transferring 20 liters to the fermentor and having 2 liters loss to trub.  This gives me enough buffer to account for a bit more or less in actual absorption from the average grain bill.

Oginme said:
What has worked for me to a great extent is to set the grain absorption to the lowest value (set for my 14 liter system) and then based upon an average grain bill, add the difference in water retention for the mash tun (20 liter system) to my lauter tun loss.  I typically target for 22 liters post boil volume, transferring 20 liters to the fermentor and having 2 liters loss to trub.  This gives me enough buffer to account for a bit more or less in actual absorption from the average grain bill.

This seems to be a useful workaround, but it'd be so nice if grain absorption was just part of your equipment profile, wouldn't it?

sni said:
This seems to be a useful workaround, but it'd be so nice if grain absorption was just part of your equipment profile, wouldn't it?

Yup, which is why I've commented on it on other threads.

Back