• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Infusion Step Mash Help

eluterio

Apprentice
Reaction score
I apologize of what I have written ahead of time.  I might sound confusing to everyone but me.  I was up late and had to be up early to take the kids to school. 

Ive been playing around with doing a triple step infusion mash using the Beersmith program.  I have my system plugged in for a single infusion mash and I'm getting close to or spot on with my efficiencies.  I plugged in my equipment profile and brewed last night.  This is the second Triple infusion I have done and both times I have missed my targeted temps.  The first time I only missed by 5 degrees but I chalked that up to human error and I didn't double check my mash temp before I added the Sacc infusion vol. 

My batch last night I was off by 10 degrees on my scc rest.  I accounted for the temp drop and plugged that into beer smith and gave me an increase of infusion water temp.  I went from 127 to 137 and I was supposed to be at 148.  BS told me to infuse 2.18 gallons of 178.2 to reach the temp needed. I don't have the correct temp I infused with last night on hand but I plugged in the volumes I had for the protein rest and temp for the adjustments.  I had to do a direct fire and was able to raise the temp to 146.  My mash step to 158 with 2.18 gallons of water at 190.5 landed me at 156 with the corrected temp readings.  I can live with a degree or two. 

My question is why I missed on my sacc temp by 10 degrees?  What am I missing that I didn't account for?  If I need to clarify anything please let me know. 

Ted

Back