Author Topic: Big Mouth Bubbler plastic carboy  (Read 436 times)

Offline KipDM

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Brewing: makes friends and settles nerves!
Big Mouth Bubbler plastic carboy
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
there are several variants of these, but i bought the Siphonless Plastic version in both 6.5 and 5 gallon.
they are GREAT! the wide mouth makes it easy to reach your arm in and scrub everything clean as well as plenty of room for using your beer thief to check gravities.
also, being lighter makes them easier to lift in and out of my chest freezer. the bottom spigot is fairly typical of ported carboys.
the spigot is located above the yeast cake [unless you happen to also have a LOT of trub settlement like i did for a pumpkin beer] so you get clearer beer when transferring whether it's to a secondary or straight to a keg.

compared to other [glass] caroboys i've used over the years i would rate this a solid 9 out of 10, because nothing is perfect!
KipDM
On Tap: Autumn Amber, Columbus Warrior DIPA
Primary: none :(
Secondary: Pumpkin Spice Ale

Offline Retired18Z

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Big Mouth Bubbler plastic carboy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
So, I've been at this only a year... I never purchased glass carboys, only buckets (at first). I purchased one of these and thought it was the cat's pajamas, until I realized that yeast flocked out and hung on every "shelf" created by the large, structural ribs in the design. Nothing major but... Morebeer's Fermonster 6 or 7 gallon carboys give you the lightness of plastic, the wide mouth, but straight sides to help the yeast fall all the way down to the bottom. I agree, both of my wide mouth, clear plastic carboys are my favorites. The buckets serve a purpose, but the Big Mouth Bubbler and the Fermonster are, IMO, much better.

Offline BOB357

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Beer is my bucket list!
Re: Big Mouth Bubbler plastic carboy
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:43:33 AM »
I love my Big Mouth Bubblers, but recently killed one of them. To clean Better Bottles I would mix a couple of gallons of PBW in the carboy and then invert it in a 2 qt. measuring bowl and let it sit until the krausen ring was gone. This method uses a lot less PBW for soaking and virtually no elbow grease.

I decided to use the same method with the bubblers. The flexing that occurs as the PBW solution glugs out into the measuring bowl until gets to the neck of the bubbler was a bit too much for the thin plastic. After about 15 cleanings a 4" crack showed up in the side along one of the transitions.

Now I use the kitchen sink sprayer to blast off what I can and then mix a gallon of PBW which I use to scrub the krausen ring with a micro-fiber cloth. I replaced the cracked bubbler with a 7 gal. Fermonster and  use the new method on it as well.

Bob

modification